Michael Dean "Mike" Crapo (pronounced "Cray-poe") (born May 20, 1951) is the junior United States Senator from Idaho. He is a member of the Republican Party. He will become Idaho's Senior Senator in January 2009, as Larry Craig has decided to not seek reelection.
The senator married Susan Diane Hasleton in June 1974; the couple has five children: Michelle, Brian, Stephanie, Lara and Paul.
Crapo was elected to the state senate in 1984. He was a member of the state senate from 1985 until 1992, serving as Senate President Pro Tempore from 1988 to 1992, when he was elected to the United States House of Representatives. He was a member of the House from 1993 until 1999, being re-elected in 1994 and 1996.
Crapo was re-elected in 2004 with 99% of the vote, with the other 1% going to write-in candidates. He was the only Senate candidate in 2004 to run unopposed on the ballot. Some Republicans want him to be appointed to a high position in the Senate Republican leadership because his seat is considered one of the 'safest' in the entire Senate. Senator Harry Reid, then the Democratic Senate Minority Leader of Nevada, also suggested Crapo be considered for the vacancy on the United States Supreme Court occasioned by Justice Sandra Day O'Connor's retirement announcement.
In the 110th Congress, Crapo currently serves on the following Senate Committees: Agriculture; Banking, Housing and Urban Development; Budget; and Finance. He co-chairs the Senate Nuclear Caucus, the Canada-U.S. Interparliamentary Group (IPG); the COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) Caucus, which he also founded; and the Congressional Sportsmen's Caucus.
Two environmental initiatives Crapo has sponsored or promoted continue that collaborative approach. He sponsored a local working group partnership in Owyhee County, Idaho, to protect and preserve sensitive ecological and riverine areas in the county while ensuring the cooperation of landowners and grazers in the area. The Owyhee Initiative working group brings together local tribal members, ranchers, recreators, land managers, environmentalists, and county leaders and the process has been endorsed by editorials in local papers, including the Boise-based Idaho Statesman newspaper. Another collaboration promoted by Crapo is the Elk Cooperative, a loose working group of tribal members, wildlife officials, and recreators to identify plans that preserve stable populations of elk in North-central Idaho.
An effort to assist small communities confronting environmental problems is another project Crapo has undertaken. Project SEARCH (Special Environmental Assistance for the Regulation of Communities and Habitat) has been approved in several Congresses, most recently authorized in the 2002 Farm Bill. It provides grants to small communities, to assist rural communities throughout the country with planning and engineering grants for environmental infrastructure projects necessary to meet the requirements of water and wastewater regulations.
Crapo partnered with the Environmental Protection Agency to provide funding and technical assistance to the Coeur d'Alene Basin Planning Commission, a partnership of state, local, community, and federal officials charged with implementing restoration of formerly-contaminated Superfund areas in the Silver Valley of North Idaho.
However, in 2006, Crapo was given the lowest possible score (0%) by the League of Conservation Voters for his voting record in the Senate. This followed his score of 5% in 2005 to bring his lifetime score down to 4%. The LCV uses selected set of votes to determine the scoring for its yearly rating. Reasons for the low score include his votes for offshore drilling, for arctic refuge drilling, against funding to help "low-income families insulate and weatherize their homes", against funding for the environment and natural resources, against independent review of Army Corps of Engineers projects, and for having the Army Corps of Engineers review themselves.
|Year||Democrat||Votes||Pct||Republican||Votes||Pct||3rd Party||Party||Votes||Pct||3rd Party||Party||Votes||Pct|
|1992||81,450||35%||Mike Crapo||139,783||61%||Steven L. Kauer||Independent||4,917||2%||David William Mansfield||Independent||3,807||2%|
|1996||67,625||29%||Mike Crapo||157,646||69%||John Butler||Natural Law||3,977||2%|
|1998||Bill Mauk||107,375||28%||Mike Crapo||262,966||70%||George J. Mansfeld||Natural Law||7,833||2%|
|2004||(no candidate)||Mike Crapo||499,796||99%||Scott F. McClure||Write-in||4,136||1%|