Heilbad Heiligenstadt is a Thuringian town in the Eichsfeld in Germany. It is the capital of the district Eichsfeld. Heiligenstadt is near three-state corners of Thuringia, Hesse and Lower Saxony. As a recognized spa town it offers cures based on brine.
- Heiligenstadt was first mentioned in 973.
- In 1227, the town received town rights from the archbishop of Mainz.
- In 1540 Heiligenstadt became the capital of Eichsfeld
- In the Thirty Years' War of 1618-1648, the city was devastated several times.
- In 1994, Heiligenstadt became the capital of the newly formed district of Eichsfeld.
- Flinsberg, the geographical centre of Germany.