The first records of the house are to be found in the Domesday Book. The site overlooked the battlefield for the Battle of Towton in 1461, and during the persecution of Catholics through the reign of Henry VIII provided refuge for Catholic priests.
Hazlewood was inhabited by descendants of the Vavasours for over 900 years, until it was sold in 1908. The site changed hands many times over the following years, serving as a maternity hospital during the Second World War and until 1953, and as a retreat for Carmelite Friars from 1971 until 1996.
War Babies to the Manor Born; 70 Years on, Posh Castle Requisitioned for a Maternity Home Welcomes Back Its Children
Sep 03, 2009; Byline: LUCY THORNTON TODAY Hazlewood Castle is a peaceful and plush hotel, but 70 years ago it echoed to the screams of new-born...