is a municipality
, in Lower Saxony
. It is situated 16 km southeast of Oldenburg
, on the North-West edge of the Naturparks Wildeshauser Geest. Apart from the aesthetically and ecologically attractive countryside it exhibits, the municipality is modern and future-oriented. The cornerstone of the local economy
, with several other sectors playing an increasingly important role.
Relaxation and Activity in Hatten
Tourism endeavours emphasise the recreational and sporting opportunities available in the area. This includes, adjoining Kirchhatten, a large recreational centre, with swimming pool, exhibition and other facilities. Many visitors enjoy canoeing on the region's major river, the Hunte.
The region is serviced through an extensive public transport system, connecting with regional centres, with regular bus and train (NordWestBahn) schedules. These provide access to prominent tourist attractions, which in Sandkrug includes Blacksmith and Printing Museums. Moreover, Sandhatten features the workshop of well-know European artist Martin McWilliam, as well as ca. 6000 year old stone graves.
Hatter Sprudel (Spring Water)
The name given to water attained from around the Osenberge, know to be one of the purest sources of spring water
in all of Germany. It is entirely free of substantial bacteriological impurities, thus requiring the addition of no chlorine. Water from this source is sufficient to supply the needs of approximately 60 per cent of the greater Oldenburg area.
Hatten consists of the following divisions:
- Hatterwüsting 1 und 2
- Kirchhatten 1, 2 und 3
- Sandkrug 1, 2 und 3
- Streekermoor 1 und 2
- North-West: Oldenburg
- North-East: Hude
- East: Ganderkesee
- South: Dötlingen
- North-North-West: Großenkneten
- West: Wardenburg
Geographical Facts & Figures
- Overall land mass: 10,344 ha
- Economically utilised land mass: 6,946 ha
- Economically utilised land mass pertaining to agriculture: 6,115 ha
- Forested area: 2,550 ha
- Water bodies: 14 ha
- Residential and Farm buildings: 201 ha
- Moorland: 113 ha
- Miscellaneous remaining: 8 ha
History & Heritage
Hatten, or it's internal division of Kirchhatten, was first attributed the name of "Hatho" in 860 AD. Derived from the Germanic dialects of Hathus or Hadu, the word may be loosely interpreted to relate to "War", "God of War" or "Fortunate Warrior".
Tacks from hunters exist from the stone age, as well as those of later Germanic tribes and saxons. Settlements are known to have developed in the region partially as a result of abundance of fruitful agricultural lands.
Sons and Daughters of the Municipality
- Heinrich Georg Diedrich Willers (1857−1907), artist and village poet
- Peter Suhrkamp (1891−1959), Publisher
- Eilert Tantzen (* 1929), Forester, local political figure (party: FDP),
conservationist and Genealogist, member of the local council and former Mayor.
About the official Coat of Arms
a) The dual fir trees may be regarded as an entrance; also, as a representation of the abundantly forested land
b) The centrally located shield is used to represent the historically-connected ownership of the area to the Oldenburger count
c) The stylised rose located in the upper portion is indicative of attributes of the land itself. Moreover, it may be traced to the oldest coat of arms of Oldenburg-Wildeshausen.
Information presented is of a general nature, and has been compiled from the public domain. No infringement of copyright is intended.
1. Hatten Gemeinde Website
2. Bundesstaat Niedersachsen