Harting is a civil parish in the Chichester District of West Sussex, England, situated on northern flank of the South Downs. It comprises four settlements namely South, East & West Harting and Nyewood.
The village of South Harting is the largest settlement having two churches, one Anglican and one Congregational. The village also has a school, St Mary & St Paul First School, which takes children from four to ten years old. From 2009, it will accept children up to 11 years old. Alongside the school is the village hall from which a pre-school group operates.
Because of its elevation Beacon Hill, just to the east of Harting Down, hosted a station in the shutter telegraph chain, from 1796 to 1816, which connected the Admiralty in London to its naval ships in Portsmouth and Plymouth.
Archaeological evidence has suggested that Harting Down was first occupied around 5000 years ago. Neighbouring Beacon Hill is home to a hillfort from the Iron Age, built around 500BC as an animal enclosure and refuge. In addition Cross Ridge Dyke, built around the same time, may have been used to control movement of people and animals along the ridgeway.
A large portion of the down has never been used for modern intensive farming, and is thus an important site representing the chalk grassland that once covered the downs. Plants found on the site include quaking grass and the common spotted orchid, and the down supports animals such as adders, skylarks and several species of butterfly.