Harkaway is a village on the foothills of the Dandenong Ranges, Melbourne Victoria, Australia. Its Local Government Area is the City of Casey. The suburb is one which is home to many who wish to avoid the inner city clutter, yet remain relatively close to the city, and is characterised by its large distinguished homes and parkland.
The area was settled by German immigrants in the 1850s. They initially bought land at Thomastown with the intention of subdividing a German settlement, but fresh from trying their luck at the Bendigo goldfields, found the fertile land at Harkaway south of King Road (originally Koenig Road, built as a stock route to water the cattle) and settled there instead. They typically built small timber cottages for themselves and practiced small-scale intensive agriculture on family lots, with the families primarily engaged in clearing the land and growing wheat, oats and potatoes, and "also very active in dairying". However, a townsite was never actually declared.
The settlers also constructed a number of other buildings - a Lutheran church (1869), the belfry of which is still intact and is located on Hessell Road; a single-room brick school (1876), a post office and a community hall (1909).
Harkaway Primary School has an enrolment of about 200 students, a community hall, tennis courts and numerous walking and equestrian trails.
The area is not served by Melbourne public transport.