The Hans Beimler Medal
(Hans Beimler Medaille) was a GDR
decoration. The medal was instituted in 17 May 1956
and was awarded to East Germans who fought in the Spanish civil war
on the side of the republicans. The medal was named after Hans Beimler
, the commander of the German Communist contingent in Spain. The medal was presented in the name of the Chairman of the Council of Ministers.
The medal is displayed on the upper left chest when worn and was positioned between the Medal for the Struggle Against Fascism 1933 to 1945
and the KLARA ZETKIN MEDAL
in the order of precedence.
The medal is round, on the front there is a depicting of Hans Beimler surrounded with its name and the dates of his birth and death (1895-1936).Reverse
On the center of the reverse there is a three-pointed star, the emblem of the International Brigades
surrounded with the words "INTERNATIONALE BRIGADEN" (INTERNATIONAL BRIGADES) and "KAMPFER SPANIENS FREIHEIT 1936-1939" (FIGHTERS FOR SPANISH LIBERTY 1936-1939).
Ribbon and Bar
The medal is suspended from rectangular ribbon bar (the ribbon is in full length in the version for army members) of red, yellow, and violet horizontal strips in equal proportion, these were the colors of the Spanish Republican Flag. On the outer edges of both sides are narrow vertical strips of black, red, and gold, the colors of the German Flag.