Hammersmith is a London Underground station in Hammersmith. It is the western terminus of the Hammersmith & City Line. The station is in Travelcard Zone 2 and is a short walk from the identically named but separate Hammersmith station on the Piccadilly and District lines. The two stations are separated by Hammersmith Broadway. As the crow flies, they are about 60m (200ft) apart door to door, although the positions of the pedestrian crossings on the Broadway makes it more like 135m (450ft) on foot. See here for a close-up map. The north of the two roundels is the Hammersmith & City line station, the south one is the Piccadilly and District lines station.
The present station is situated on Beadon Road and opened on 1 December 1868, replacing the original station slightly north of here which opened on 13 June 1864 when the line extension was built from Paddington.
The Metropolitan Railway operated a service from Hammersmith to Richmond from 1877 over the lines of the London and South Western Railway from a junction just north of this station via an adjacent station at Hammersmith (Grove Road) and a viaduct connection to Ravenscourt Park. Part of this viaduct is still visible from Piccadilly and District Line trains west of the Piccadilly and District Line station. The extension closed on 31 December 1906 shortly after the introduction of electric trains on the line.