is a town and the district headquarters of Hamirpur district
in the Himalayan state of Himachal Pradesh
. Hamirpur is located in a relatively warmer region with a lower altitude as compared to the other districts of the state.
The exact geographical co-ordinates of Hamirpur is , and the average elevation is 738 metres
As of 2001 India census, Hamirpur had a population of 17,219. Males constitute 54% of the population and females 46%. Hamirpur has an average literacy rate of 81%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 83%, and female literacy is 79%. In Hamirpur, 10% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Una and Hamirpur were created mainly as a result of trifurcation of the erstwhile Kangra district on 1st September, 1972, as a consequence whereof two more new districts namely Also from the then existing districts of Mahasu and Shimla, new districts of Shimla and Solan were formed by re-organising the boundaries of old districts.
Hamirpur has recently emerged as an educational hub of Himachal Pradesh.. Following is the list of leading educational institutions.Now a days Hamirpur is the second educated region in india, male literacy is 83%, and female literacy is 79%.===University/College===
- National Institute of Technology, Hamirpur: It is a national level public technical university wholly funded by Government of India.It offers undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral programmes.
- Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose Memorial Government Postgraduate College; It offers ungraduate courses BA/BSc/BCom and few postgraduate courses in Social Sciences/Languages. This college is affiliated to Himachal Pradesh University, Shimla.
Following is the list of notable Institutes/schools:
- Government Senior Secondary School (Boys)
- Government Senior Secondary School (Girls)
- Kendriya Vidyalaya
- D.A.V Senior Secondary School
- Him Academy Public School
- Blue Star Senior Secondary School