Halstead's principles are the basic principles of surgical technique regarding tissue handling, vascular occlusion etc. If followed, they improve soft tissue surgical success rate.
- Strict asepsis during preparation and surgery.
- Good haemostasis to improve conditions for the procedure and limit infection and deadspace.
- Minimise tissue trauma.
- Use good Surgical judgement ensuring elimination of deadspace and adequate removal of material.
- Minimise surgery time through knowledge of anatomy and technique.
- Correct use of instruments and materials used.