There is evidence that the area has been occupied since the Mesolithic period. Some of the oldest surviving buildings in Hale date from the late 17th century, in the area once known as Hungry Hill.
The oldest place of worship in the village is a chapel built in 1834. St John's Church was founded in 1844. It was paid for by Bishop Sumner and designed by the architect Benjamin Ferrey. Sumner is buried in the churchyard with his wife.
Hale grew rapidly after 1854 when the British Army became established in Aldershot. Many people came to the area seeking employment in building the nearby town and barracks. As the cottages spread, those nearer to Aldershot formed a separate village, which became known as Heath End. In recognition of the services they had rendered, the army gave the villagers of Hale two acres of land for a new cemetery. St Mark's Church was built near to the cemetery in 1883.