HMAS Anzac (D59)
was a Battle class
destroyer (named Anzac
class in the RAN) of the Royal Australian Navy
was laid down by the Williamstown Naval Dockyard at Melbourne
on 23 September 1946, launched on 20 August 1948 by Mrs. J. A. Collins, wife of the Chief of the Naval Staff and commissioned on 14 March 1951 but not accepted by the Royal Australian Navy until 22 March.
In September 1960, Anzac
was performing gunnnery exercises with sister ship HMAS Tobruk
. A malfunction in Anzac
’s gun direction equipment negated the deliberate 6 degree mis-aiming of her guns, with the resulting shell hitting Tobruk
and doing enough damage to the destroyer to make repairs uneconomical. Two of Anzac
’s crew were charged by the Naval Board, while Tobruk
was decommissioned a month later.
Decommissioning and fate
paid off at Sydney on 4 October 1974, was sold to the Hifirm Corporation Limited of Hong Kong on 24 November 1975, and departed Sydney on 30 December 1975 under tow by a Japanese tug.