H. Lee Cheek, Jr.
), is the Chair
of the Social
Sciences Division and Professor
of Political Science
at Brewton-Parker College
in Mt. Vernon
. He received his bachelor's degree from Western Carolina University
, his M.Div.
from Duke University
, his M.P.A.
from Western Carolina University, and his Ph.D
. from The Catholic University of America
. Dr. Cheek taught at Brewton-Parker College from 1997-2000, and he rejoined the Brewton-Parker faculty
in 2005. In 2000, 2006, and 2007 Dr. Cheek was awarded Brewton-Parker College's Professor of the Year Award
by the student body. From 2000 to 2005, Dr. Cheek served as Associate Professor of Political Science at Lee University
. In May
of 2002, Dr. Cheek was given Lee University’s Excellence in Scholarship
award; and in May
of 2004, he received Lee University's Excellence in Advising award.
Dr. Cheek has served as a congressional aide and as a political consultant. He is the founder and director of the Wesley Studies Society. He currently serves on the editorial board of Humanitas and The University Bookman, and has served as a Fellow of the Wilbur Foundation, the Center for Judicial Studies, and the Center for International Media Studies. Dr. Cheek lives in Vidalia, Georgia with his wife, Kathy B. Cheek.
Dr. Cheek’s current research includes completing an intellectual biography of Francis Graham Wilson
, a study of the American Founding, and a book on Patrick Henry
's constitutionalism and political theory.
- Political Philosophy and Cultural Renewal (Transaction/Rutgers, 2001) with Kathy B. Cheek.
- Calhoun and Popular Rule, published by the University of Missouri Press (2001; paper edition, 2004).
- Calhoun: Selected Speeches and Writings (Regnery, 2003).
- Order and Legitimacy (Transaction/Rutgers, 2004).
- John C. Calhoun: A Disquisition on Government (St. Augustine's Press, 2007).
- The Limits of Pure Democracy (Transaction/Rutgers, 2007).
Dr. Cheek has published numerous journal articles in publications such as the Journal of Politics
, Methodist History
, International Social Science Review
, Hebraic Political Studies
, and is a regular commentator on American politics.
- Dr. Cheek's website
- Brewton-Parker College
- Catholic University of America
- Duke University
- Hebraic Political Studies
- Lee University
- The University Bookman
- University of Missouri Press
- Western Carolina University
- The Wilbur Foundation