Guy Dawber was born in King's Lynn, Norfolk in 1861, the son of John Stockdale Dawber (d. 1898) and his wife Lois Ellen (née Edwards). He trained in the practice of Sir Ernest George and Harold Peto, supervising their work on Batsford Park (1887-93), near Moreton-in-Marsh, in the Cotswolds. He became a respected and scholarly architect working in the Cotswold vernacular tradition, designing and converting a number of houses in the district, including Eyford Park (1911-12), and Nether Swell Manor (1903 and 1909), both near Stow-on-the-Wold. He designed St John's chapel of ease in Matlock Dale, Derbyshire, where he lived locally. He also specialised in laying out and designing gardens.
He was President of the Royal Institute of British Architects from 1925 to 1927. He was awarded the RIBA Royal Gold Medal in 1928. He played a prominent part in establishing the Council for the Preservation of Rural England in 1926 and became its first President. He was knighted in 1936. He married Mary Eccles in Lancashire in 1896. He died in London on 24 April 1938 and is buried at St. Giles with his parents and brother.
He published Old Cottages Farm-houses, and other Stone Buildings in the Cotswold District (Batsford, 1905). He also painted in watercolour.
There is a chapter on him in: Reilly, Charles Herbert: Representative British architects of the present day. London: Batsford, 1931.
Obituary notices published in: AA Journal vol 53, May 1938, p 522; Architect & Building News vol 154, 29 Apr 1938, p 112, 114, 155; Architect & Building News vol 155, 15 July 1938, p 61; Architect's Journal vol 87, 28 Apr 1938, p 685, 691; The Builder vol 154, 29 Apr 1938, p 824, 827; RIBA Journal vol 45, 1938, p 631, 633, 666-7, 720; The Times, Monday 25 Apr 1938
Property: To the Manor Born Again for a Bright Future; an Impressive Costwold Dwelling Is Being Converted into Seven Homes. Property Correspondent Marsya Lennox Reports
Feb 19, 2000; Praised nearly a century ago as one of the "most delightful" residences in the Cotswolds, Nether Swell Manor at Stow-on-the-Wold...