The Municipality of Gumaca (Filipino: Bayan ng Gumaca) is a second class municipality in the province of Quezon, Philippines. According to the 2007 census, it has a population of 63,778.
Formerly known as Bumaka (to fight), the present town of Gumaca was a settlement founded at the southern bank of Palanas River in the 14th century by a group of settlers from Borneo and Malay Peninsula.
The earliest known ruler was Lakan Bugtali. His sovereignty extended over the regions bordering Gusuan, now called Lamon Bay, from Gamao point to the North, to the island across the bay or now known as Alabat Islands, to the southwest passing the northeastern part of the present town of Calauag, the source of Talolong, which traverses the town of Lopez, and Pandanan Rivers and on the northwest as far as the upper Kalilayan River. It has 93 barangays. Thus when the first Spaniards arrived in this settlement in 1574 led by Fr. Diego Oropesa, they found a group of barangays with their own culture and government.
From 1574 to 1670 the town of Gumaca was ruled by Spanish Friars. Then from 1671 to 1893 the town was ruled by Spanish and Filipino
Gobernadorcillos. From 1893 to 1900 the town executives came to be known as Capitan Municipal and from 1901 the head of the town was elected by the people and came to be known as Presidente Municipal. Later in 1936 this title was change to Municipal Mayors.
It must be noted that the brief history of Gumaca had no mention of any law, decree or Republic Act which created the Municipality
and there was no mother municipality where Gumaca came from. As for its daughter towns, Lopez is the most notable among them, being one of the largest and the most progressive in that part of the province.
Under Republic Act No. 9495, subject for approval of the voters of Quezon, Gumaca will be the capital municipality of the proposed province of Quezon del Sur.
Places of interest
Kutang San Diego (Spanish fort)
It is the only remaining structure built under the supervision of Franciscans during the latter part of the 18th century. It was erected to help guard the town against sea pirates. The fort is located in the town proper of Gumaca, near the pier.
San Diego de Alcala Fortress
Recognized by the National Historical Commission as a national treasure in 1981, this fortress was constructed by the Spaniards under the leadership of Franciscan Father Francisco Coste. It is located in Gumaca, Quezon.
It is a body of water connecting the northern part of Quezon to the Pacific Ociean. It bounds the coastal towns of Atimonan, Gumaca, Plaridel, Lopez, and Calauag, and the islands of Alabat. It is a rich fishing ground and the home of various living corals. Most parts of the bay consist of gray sand, some parts are filled with rocks, and other living corals. It is gradually sloping to the extend that, during low tide, the water level is low enough to allow one to walk as far as five hundred meters from the shore. The beaches in the towns of Gumaca and Plaridel are sandy and ideal for swimming. In some parts of the bay, about ten feet from the beach front, are living corals. The town of Lopez
has the best colonies of corals which are located just about 15 minutes by boat from the shore. Lamon Bay is located at the northern part of Quezon.
Cathedral of San Diego de Alcala
Its first establishment was in 1582, on its present site. It was transferred to Silangan in the island of Alabat in 1638. It was burned by the Dutch forces in 1665; reconstructed and beautified in 1846. It is known as the biggest and oldest Catholic Church in the province of Quezon. It is located in Brgy. San Diego Poblacion near the Municipal Government office.
Gumaca Rizal Park
Built in 1935 during the incumbency of Eriberto Caparros, by the year 1982 it was modernized, renovated, and lighted. It is located Barangay Rizal, Gumaca, Quezon.
Feast of San Isidro/Balwarte sa Gumaca
(May 15; Gumaca, Quezon). This festival is different from Pahiyas sa Lucban – balwarte or arches are decorated with various agricultural products like bananas, vegetables, buco, pineapple, and root crops. These crop decor are pulled out by the people after the patron saint has passed. The three most beautifully decorated balwartes are given prizes.
Quezon is a tapestry of old Spanish-style houses with Castilian architecture and character. Visit the old houses of Lucban, Tayabas, Sariaya, Gumaca, and Mauban while savoring the best of the yield from lanzones plantations. Or come during the San Isidro Festival in honor of the patron of farmers, San Isidro Labrador. Take home petered rice paste strung in garlands for a souvenir and celebrate with the people this feat of thanksgiving for a bountiful harvest.
Local Government officials
- Mayor: Hon. Engr. Joy Job A. Cabangon
- Vice Mayor: Hon. Carmela Josefa R. Lavidez
- Hon. Raquel M. Mendoza (SB Member)
- Hon. Aida P. Dysanco (SB Member)
- Hon. Armando A. Atienza (SB Member)
- Hon. Rodolfo J. Bañal (SB Member)
- Hon. Danilo B. Hernandez (SB Member)
- Hon. Ruvilon Juancho T. Mercurio (SB Member)
- Hon. Noel F. Capisonda (SB Member)
- Hon. Marylyn C. Arcaya (SB Member)
- Hon. Domingo E. Indrinal, Jr. (ABC President)
- Hon. Aaron Evan T. Bañal (SK Federation President)
Gumaca is politically subdivided into 59 barangays.
- Adia Bitaog
- Bagong Buhay (Pob.)
- Batong Dalig
- Casasahan Ibaba
- Casasahan Ilaya
- Gitnang Barrio
- Inagbuhan Ilaya
- Laguna(malaguna ang..)
- Mabini ibarra's house (Pob.)
- Marcelo H. Del Pilar
- Mataas Na Bundok
- Maunlad (Pob.)
- Peñafrancia (Pob.)
- Pipisik (Pob.)
- Rizal (Pob.)
- San Agustin
- San Diego Poblacion
- San Diego (brgy. ng Matatapang)
- San Isidro Kanluran
- San Isidro Silangan
- San Juan De Jesus
- San Vicente
- Tabing Dagat (Pob.)
- Tabing Tae(pob)
- Villa Arcaya
- Villa Botas
- Villa Fuerte
- Villa Mendoza
- Villa Nava
- Villa Padua
- Villa Perez
- Villa M. Principe
- Villa Tañada
- Villa Victoria
- Villa lubos(pob)