Buga formally Guadalajara de Buga is a medium sized city and municipality in the Valle del Cauca department of Colombia. It is famous for its Basilica del Señor de los Milagros, which houses an image of Christ called El Señor de los Milagros.
Guadalajara de Buga is one of the oldest cities in Colombia; founded in 1555 under the order of the Spanish conquistador Sebastián de Belalcázar and known as " Buga la Real" “La Ciudad Señora” ("The Regal Buga" or “The Lady City”) was the home of many wealthy families coming from Spain and settling in the new world. The king Don Felipe II (Phillip II of Spain) gave Guadalajara de Buga its official title of “City” at the end of the XVI century and also granted its coat of arms for the many services received to the crown.
During the years of Independence; Simón bolívar, also called: “El libertador” (“The liberator”) visited the city in two occasions in which two commemoration plates were placed.