The Grolier Club maintains a research library specializing in books, bibliography and bibliophily, printing (especially the history of printing and examples of fine printing), binding, illustration and bookselling. The Grolier Club has one of the more extensive collections of book auction and book seller catalogs in North America. The Library has the archives of a number of prominent bibliophiles such as Sir Thomas Phillipps, and of bibliophile and print collecting groups, such as the Hroswitha Club of women book collectors and the Society of Iconophiles.
The Grolier Club also has a program of public exhibitions which "treat books and prints as objects worthy of display, on a par with painting and sculpture. The exhibitions draw on various sources including holdings of the Club, its members, and of institutional libraries.
The Grolier Club has had three locations since being founded in 1884. The Club's first home was rented. In 1890 the Grolier Club moved into a Romanesque Revival building at 29 East 32nd Street (which still survives as a designated landmark). Its current location, 47 East 60th Street has been its home since 1917; the building was designed by Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue.
The Grolier Club is a member of the Fellowship of American Bibliophilic Societies.