Parts of the area have been inhabited since the Stone Age, mainly along the rivers, and a number of villages are found within the park, which was formed to promote biodiversity conservation and provide socioeconomic betterment to communites in and around it. The park protects a wide variety of animal life including lions, leopards, elephants, rhinoceros, hippopotamuses, water buffalo, zebra, wildebeest, giraffes, impalas and other antelopes, and many species of birds and fish. In the last decades of the 20th cent. Mozambique experienced a long and bloody civil war, which took a vast toll on its wildlife. As part of the park's establishment, South Africa transferred more than 1,000 animals, including many elephants, from Kruger to the Mozambique section.
The memorandum of understanding for the creation of the peace park was signed on November 10 2000 as the Gaza-Kruger-Gonarezhou Transfrontier Park. In October 2001 the name was changed to the Great Limpopo Transfrontier Park. By the 5th World Parks Congress held in Durban, South Africa in 2003 the treaty had not been ratified in Mozambique and Zimbabwe.
Fences between the parks have started to come down allowing the animals to take up their old migratory routes that were blocked before due to political boundaries.
On the October 4 2001 the first 40 (including 3 breeding herds) of a planned 1000 elephants were translocated from the over-populated Kruger National Park to the war-ravaged Limpopo National Park. It would take 2½ years to complete the translocation.
The new Giriyondo Border Post between South Africa and Mozambique has started in March 2004.
There are new plans that should increase the size of the park to 99,800 km² (36,000 sq. mi.).