Great Invasions (The Dark Ages 350-1066 AD) is a grand strategy computer game. The game portrays the Dark Ages, starting in 350 with the death of the Roman Emperor Constans and ending in 1066. The player can control up to ten nations simultaneously, and is given control of diplomacy, war, finances, administration, religion, building structures and training and managing armies and fleets.
is designed to simulate and expand on the relevant historical events and occurrences of the depicted period. The player is given freedom to act as he sees fit, but the developers encourage you to play in historically accurate manner in order to be able to experience the timeframe in its full flavour.
The game is built upon a controversial system of controlling more than one nation at the same time thus presenting the player with a unique gaming environment.
The developers state that long inactivity in specific nations' histories was the main decision for this.
- Great Invasions is based on historical occurrences—designed in collaboration with historians—and includes 150 historical events and over 3,700 key figures of this period.
- Manage the finances, diplomatic, religious and military needs of a nation.
- Apart from managing the conflicts between borders, you must control population migrations, heresies and confront the fall of kingdoms and empires facing barbarian attacks.
- Manage up to 10 populations simultaneously, selecting them via a bidding system with over 80 different nations (barbarians, kingdoms or empires).
- Multiplayer mode supporting up to 4 players via LAN or Internet.