Grange Lane railway station was located on the South Yorkshire Railway line between Sheffield and Barnsley. At the time of its building it was located alongside the lane, from which it takes its name, with few houses nearby. From the early 1890s it became the interchange point with coal traffic from Grange Colliery (also known as Dropping Well Colliery) at Kimberworth in Rotherham, South Yorkshire. The colliery was sunk in 1891 and coal production ceased in 1963. The colliery site is now Grange Park golf course.
The station, opened in June 1855, consisted of two flanking platforms with buildings on each. The line and the crossing gates were controlled from a signal box situated at the end of the platform adjacent to the gates.
The station was closed on 7 December 1953 and most buildings subsist; goods shed and both platform survive with the station building lived in. The platforms are overgrown but still visible and the line having been transformed into a footpath has been concreted over. The level crossing's track remains.