) is the organization
that rates video games
and computer software
with levels of rating that informs the customer of the nature of the product and for what age group it is suitable. It was established on July 2002
as a branch of Computer Entertainment Supplier's Association
, and became an officially recognized non-profit organization
On March 1, 2006, CERO enforced the latest revision of its ratings system. The symbols that CERO uses are stylized depictions of letters, meant to convey at a glance, a game's suitability for minors:
- A (all ages) equivalent to ESRB's E and E10+ ratings (And also some T ratings) and PEGI's 3+ and 7+ ratings (And also some 12+ ratings)
- B (ages 12 and up) equivalent to ESRB's E10+ (high end) and T rating (low end)and PEGI's 12+ rating
- C (ages 15 and up) equivalent to ESRB's T (high end) and M ratings (low end) and PEGI's 16+ rating (low end)
- D (ages 17 and up) equivalent to ESRB's M rating (high end) and PEGI's 16+ rating (high end)
- Z (ages 18 and up only) equivalent to ESRB's AO rating and PEGI's 18+ rating
Ratings are often printed on the packaging of video games. The Z classification is the only rating which is legally regulated.
Contents descriptor icons
In April 2004
, CERO defined the following "content descriptor icons." These icons are displayed on the back of all packages except on those rated "A."
- Love: Sakura Wars, Grandia 3, D.C.P.S.: Da Capo Plus Situation
- Sexual content: Super Robot Wars, The King of Fighters, Air, Killer 7, Galaxy Angel II, Doki Doki Majo Shinpan!
- Violence: Dynasty Warriors, Metal Slug, Gears of War, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Killer 7, God of War, Battalion Wars
- Horror: LifeSigns: Surgical Unit, Fatal Frame, xxxHolic
- Gambling: Yakuza
- Crime: Burnout, Genso Suikoden I&II, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, No More Heroes, Wild Arms 5, Valkyria Chronicles
- Use of alcohol or tobacco: Canis Canem Edit (Bully)
- Use of drugs: Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
- Language or other: Kanon, Baroque, Tales of Innocence, Killer 7, Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World, Tales of Vesperia
These ratings are used until March 2006
- Free replaced by A
- 12 replaced by B
- 15 replaced by C
- 18 replaced by D and Z
The primary difference between the two rating systems was the inclusion of the "17 and older" rating, due to the large gap between the "15 and up" and "18 and up" ratings.