The Governor of Goa
is a nominal
head and representative of the President of India
in the state of Goa
. The Governor is appointed by the President for a term of 5 years. H.E. S C Jamir
is the current governor (assumed charge of office on July 17
Powers and functions
The Governor enjoys many different types of powers:
- Executive powers related to administration, appointments and removals,
- Legislative powers related to lawmaking and the state legislature, that is Vidhan Sabha or Vidhan Parishad, and
- Discretionary powers to be carried out according to the discretion of the Governor.
See also: Powers and functions of the Governor
Ex Officio Powers
- The Governor is the Chancellor of the Goa University and exercises powers delegated under the Goa University Act, 1984 and the Statutes of the University.
- The Governor is the ex-officio President of the Indian Red Cross Society, Goa Branch and has the powers to appoint the Chairman, Hon. Secretary, etc.
- The Governor is the President of the Goa State Environment Protection Council, which is an Advisory Body, set up by the Government of Goa. The Council consisting of Government Authorities and the NGOs engaged in environmental and the related areas meets once in six months and deliberates on various issues on the environment and ecology of the State.
- The Governor is the Chairman of the Special Fund for Rehabilitation and Reconstruction of Ex-Servicemen and Widows.
List of all previous governors of Goa
Portuguese Governor Generals
The first Portuguese Governor General was Francisco de Almeida
and the last Manuel Antonio Vassalo E Silva who left office in 1961
. In total there have been 163 Governor Generals. For a complete list see
Indian Military Governor
After the state joined the Indian Union in 1961 Maj. Gen. K.P. Candeth
was appointed the Military Governor for the state. He served from 19 Dec 1961 to 6 June 1962.
Goa, along with Daman and Diu
was a Union Territory
in the Indian Union till 30 May 1987. As such it had a Lieutenant Governor till that time.
Governors after 1987
Goa became a full fledged state of the Indian Union in 1987 and since then has had the following governors: