Goodfellow Air Force Base
is a non-flying United States Air Force
base located in San Angelo
. As part of Air Education & Training Command
(AETC) Goodfellow's main mission is cryptologic
training for the Air Force, Army
and Marine Corps
. Also, special instruments training and fire protection is taught here. It is the home of the 17th Training Wing
- The primary unit at Goodfellow AFB is the Air Force's 17th Training Wing, part of 2nd Air Force, AETC.
- There are also tenant units of the Army, Navy, and Marine Corps.
- There is a US Air Force NCO Academy. (Inactivated on 28 May 2008) [Will be turned into an Airman Leadership School]
- There is a Texas Air National Guard Unit - 217 TRS.
- The Army's 344th Military Intelligence Battalion is headquartered at Goodfellow AFB with separate companies at Fort Huachuca, Arizona and Corry Station, Florida.
Goodfellow AFB is named after first lieutenant
John J. Goodfellow, Jr. who died during World War I
while conducting aerial reconnaissance
behind enemy lines.
The administration of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt purchased the land on which Goodfellow sits to build an advanced air training base. The new San Angelo Air Corps Basic Flying School was established on 17 August 1940. In 1941 the base was officially renamed Goodfellow Field.
Throughout World War II and afterwards, Goodfellow trained pilots on such planes as the T-6 Texan and the B-25 Mitchell.
The base was then transferred from Air Training Command to the U.S. Air Force Security Service. Goodfellow's mission changed to what it is today; the base's runway is no longer in operation. In 1966, the mission expanded further to include joint-service training for other branches of the service.
On 1 July 1993, the 17th Training Wing was activated on Goodfellow AFB and special instruments training and fire protection began to be taught there.
The following are some of the facilities at Goodfellow AFB
- Western Winds
- 2 Gymnasiums
- Swimming Pool
- Bowling Alley
- Movie Theater
- Paint Ball
- Several Dormitories
- Crossroads Chapel Fellowship Center
- Army, Navy, Marine Corps tenant units
- Angelo Inn Billeting
- Louis F. Garland Fire Academy
- Lakeside Recreation Center at Lake Nasworthy
- Medical Clinic