is an anime series created and directed by Yasuchika Nagaoka. It has elements of comedy, ecchi and mecha.
In 2042, alien threats known as the laid waste to Japan. During a final battle against the Mimetic beasts, Goh Saruwatari defeats the alien "boss" and saves his future wife, Anna Aoi, with his robot called Godannar.
Now, on their wedding ceremony, the Mimetic beasts emerge after five years of tranquility. Goh and Godannar are called to action, forcing Goh to leave Anna at the altar.
As Goh struggles in his battle against the Mimetic beast, Anna stumbles upon a sealed robot known as Neo Okusaer. She is able to activate and pilot the Neo Okusaer to save her "husband" by merging it with Godannar to activate the Godannar's Twin Drive.
During the course of the series, it is discovered that humanity is threatened by a virus which is spread by the Mimetic beasts. All of humanity is infected, but the virus affects the Godannar pilots most severely, since they come into close contact with the Mimetic beasts on a regular basis. The virus has the effect of transforming human males into Mimetic beasts; females are somehow immune, unless they naturally generate large amounts of male hormones. The virus is stimulated by human hormones, especially those released in great quantities during combat.
During the second season, the pilots of Dannar Base struggle to balance the need to fight the Mimetic beasts with the danger of further infection. Eventually, it is discovered that Milla, who was trapped inside a Mimetic beast for five years, is the source of the vaccine humanity needs.
The series is famous for its fanservice: upskirt shots, bouncing breasts, and the scantily clad female pilots.
There was also a dōjinshi made by staff which was sold to fund the production of the second series.
- Goh Saruwatari (猿渡 ゴオ Saruwatari Gō), 29. Hero of the story and pilot of Godannar. Prior to the start of the series, he rescues Anna in a battle with the Mimetic beasts. 5 years later Goh and Anna are to be married just as the Mimetic beasts begin to move once again.
- Anna Aoi/Anna Saruwatari (葵 杏奈 Aoi An'na/猿渡 杏奈 Saruwatari An'na), 17. A high school student and skilled robot pilot, she was to be married to Goh before the re-emergence of the Mimetic beasts interrupted their ceremony. Becomes the pilot of Neo Okusaer, and later Go Okusaer.
- Shizuru Fujimura (藤村 静流 Fujimura Shizuru) Busty pilot of Core Gunner and a remarkable sharp shooter, who is also in love with Goh, yet is unable to confess these feelings. Much later develops a close friendship with Goh's younger brother, Shinobu, but not in a romantic nature. Killed by Mimetic Beasts at the end of Season 1, though soon resurrected by Mira.
- Kiriko Aoi (葵 霧子 Aoi Kiriko) - Anna's extremely busty mother and Goh's boss. Together with her husband, Tatsuya, she was responsible for the development of the Dannar project.
- Kagemaru (影丸) The dashing Commander of Danner Base. Seems to have secret feelings for Kiriko Aoi, but the feelings are not reciprocated.
- Milla Ackerman/Mira Ackerman - original pilot of Neo Okusaer. She was Goh's old combat partner and lover, until the battle 5 years previous in which she was thought to have been killed. She still loves him.
- Lou Roux/Lou Lowe - a young orphan girl taken in by Goh and Anna. Once an operator for the orbital space station that monitors the Earth for the presence of Mimetic beasts, she is the lone survivor when the space station is destroyed and her father killed by Mimetic beasts that somehow managed to stow away on one of their shuttles. She becomes obsessed with becoming a robot pilot to avenge her father's death. At the end of the series, she pilots Celleblader to fight the Mimetic Beasts. She sometimes wanders off to fight the Mimetic Beasts, but returns to Dannar Base just to live there. She promised Ken to look after Goh and Anna to see they can save humanity.
- Shinobu Saruwatari (猿渡 忍 Saruwatari Shinobu) - Goh's younger brother who lives with Goh and Anna. Shinobu kids his older brother about his age and goes to school with Anna. Though he was once infatuated with Anna, he later refers to himself as her "big brother". He may have later developed close feelings for Shizuru, much to Kouji's chagrin but it is not definite.
- Konami Sasagure (笹暮 小波 Sasagure Konami) - One of the 2 operators of the main ship's console.
- Momoko "Momochi" Momozono (桃園 桃子 Momozono Momoko) - One of the 2 operators of the main ship's console.
- Tetsuya Kouji (光司 鉄也 Kōji Tetsuya) - Easily excitable partner of Shizuru and pilot of G-Gunner. He spends most of the series recovering from injuries sustained in the battle from the first episode. He has feelings for Shizuru and is a little wary of Shinobu who seems to be getting a little too close to her. He is named after the pilots of Mazinger Z and the Great Mazinger, Kouji Kabuto and Tetsuya Tsurugi.
- Shadow - Pilot of the American giant robot Genesister and partner of Luna whom she secretly loves. Strong, beautiful, athletic, but a bit masculine. The only female to be severely affected by the virus.
- Luna - Pilot of the American giant robot Genesister and partner of Shadow whom she also loves secretly. Small, petite and cute, but surprisingly strong.
- Moukaku - Pilot of the Chinese giant robot Goddiner. Loud and brash, he surprisingly has a soft side. He's in love with Shukuyu. Later becomes the second case of a full infection by the insania virus, like Max, forcing the team to kill him.
- Shukuyu - Pilot of the Chinese giant robot Goddiner and partner of Moukaku. Younger than Moukaku, she reins him in.
- Ekaterina - Fantastically well-endowed pilot of the Russian giant robot Volspina. Beautiful and magnificently busty, her relationship with her partner Kukrachyov is much like a dominatrix except she doesn't want to cause him harm.
- Kukrachyov - Pilot of the Russian giant robot Volspina. Tall, thin and quiet, he obeys every command of his partner Ekaterina without question.
- Knight Valentine - Pilot of the British giant robot Dragliner. Handsome and conceited, he's always chasing girls but loves his stepsister to which he has no blood relation.
- Ellis Valentine - Pilot of the British giant robot Dragliner. Knight and Ellis refer to each other as brother and sister, though they are not related. She is constantly frustrated by Knight's skirt-chasing.
- Ken (剣) A rogue Robot pilot who makes it his life mission to defeat the Mimetic beasts after the loss of his wife. Often referred to by the world at large as a "Menage Zero", a code name for a rogue robot acting without authority. He later takes Lou in when she begs Ken to teach her to be a pilot. He gets infected by the virus that almost every male pilot gets. He ejected Lou from the Celleblader out of the Gainer before Ken dies in his last battle.
Japan - Dannar Base
- Godannar (Its name is a combination of the pilot's name and a play on だんな (da-n-na), meaning husband in Japanese.) (Pilot: Goh)
- Neo Okusaer (Pilot: Anna / Milla)
- Go Okusaer (Pilot: Anna)
(The names of Godannar's partner units play off the Japanese root おくさ (o-ku-sa), which means wife.)
- Godannar Twin Drive (Godannar and Neo Okusaer/Go Okusaer merged)
- Core Gunner (Pilot: Shizuru)
- G Gunner: A humanoid robot which also serves as an armored carrier/shell for Core Gunner. (Pilot: Kouji)
- Club Mariner (once piloted by Max)
- Jet Boy: Unmanned AI Jets that can attach to robots, allowing high-speed flight. Can transform into humanoid form if required.
- Cosmo Diver (child): Originally from the orbital space station Cosmo Base, it is capable of transforming into shuttle form, also serves as an attachment to the parent Cosmo Diver on its back. Capable of operating in space or underwater. (Pilot: Lou)
- G Zero Gunner: Upgraded version of G Gunner. (Pilot: Kouji)
- Operatiger (Pilots: Konami and Momoko)
- Lab Defender (Pilot: Kagemaru)
- Neo Diver (Pilot: Shinobu)
England - Union Base
- Dragliner (Pilots: Ellis and Knight)
- Drag Fighter: A humanoid robot hidden in the Dragliner's fuselage. (Pilot: Ellis)
- Beast Mode: Once Drag Fighter separates, the winged portion of Dragliner can change into this dragon-like robot. (Pilot: Knight)
Russia - Vega Base
- Volspinner (Pilot: Ekaterina)
- Slave Wing (Pilot: Kuklachov)
- Volspina (Volspinner and Slave Wing merged)
North America - Silicone Base
- Geneshadow (Pilot: Shadow)
- Lunasister (Pilot: Luna)
- Genesister (Geneshadow and Lunasister merged)
China - Dino Base
- God Horn (Pilot: Moukaku)
- God Sonic (Pilot: Shukuyu)
- Goddiner (God Horn and God Sonic merged)
- Fat Boy: AI mobile ground artillery units.
Outer Space - Cosmos Base
- Cosmo Diver (parent): At the start of the series, was one of the two robots capable of fighting in space. (once piloted by Low)
- Cosmo Diver (child) (see Japan - Dannar Base above) (Pilot: Lou)
"Menage Zero" (Rogue Fighters)
- Gainar. A robot wearing a cloak, uses a katana-like blade as its primary weapon. (Pilot: Ken)
- Celleblader: Female styled robot once piloted by Ken's wife, its back-attachment separates to form the sword of Blade Gainer. (Pilot: Rosa / Lou)
- Blade Gainer (Gainer and Celleblader merged)
- Jet Crow: Gainar's AI support unit, joins to Celleblader's back when Gainer and Celleblader merge.
- Jet Boy (see Japan - Dannar Base above)
- Fat Boy (see China - Dino Base above)
- Thunder Boy: AI fighter jets - slightly similar to Jet Boys but armed.
The Godannar by itself, is shown to be rather unimpressive in the series, as it carries no external weaponry, and doesn't do anything spectacular. However, once Godannar merges with Neo Okusaer (and later, Go Okusaer) to form Godannar Twin Drive, its power is dramatically increased. Godannar's blue armor plating turns red, giant revolver chambers in the machine's forearms and lower legs are revealed, and a long plume of red flame (Blue when merging with Go Okusaer) bursts from the back of Godannar's head, resembling a long scarf. In this combined form, Godannar has access to an impressive array of attacks, all of which are loudly announced by Godannar's pilot, Go Saruwatari.
Godannar raises into the air and spins rapidly, creating a tornado of flame around its body. Primarily a defensive move.
Godannar fires a short range energy burst from its fist via punching motion. Primarily used to counter enemy ranged attacks (hence the name of the move) allowing Godannar to engage its target at close range, where it can make use of its truly powerful attack options.
The first part of Godannar's finishing combination. Godannar executes a powerful straight punch, burying its fist into the target's body. The co-pilot (who was piloting one of the 2 Okusaer units before merging with Dannar) then pulls the trigger on a gun-shaped control device. This fires one of the shells in Godannar's revolver chambers, causing a massive energy burst. The exact effect is not stated in the series, but it seems to cause a the organic components of a Mimetic beasts to harden into a stone-like substance, immobilizing the target and making it more prone to being shattered by Soul Breaker, the inevitable follow up to Heart Breaker. While Anna only pulls the trigger once, Milla (the original pilot of Neo Okusaer) pulls the trigger multiple times, amplifying the effect of the attack, to the point of being able to destroy a Mimetic Beast without the need for Soul Breaker.
After stunning an enemy with Heart Breaker, Godannar leaps high into the air, and comes down with a powerful diving kick that shatters the target's body. When merged with Go Okusaer, this move becomes Fire Soul Breaker. When using Fire Soul Breaker, Godannar is wreathed in blue flame.
An alternative finisher to the Soul Breaker, used when Milla is piloting the Neo Okusaer. Godannar uses a diving, spinning kick with both feet, wreathed in flames. In one battle, this attack was used on a midair opponent, and was modified into a flipping axe kick.
Shinkon Gattai Godannar!!
Shinkon Gattai Godannar!! SECOND SEASON
(26 in all)