name = St. Benet's Hall |
picture = |
university = Oxford |
primary_colour = black |colours = |} |
college_name = St. Benet's Hall |
name_Latin = Aula Privata Sancti Benedicti |
named_for = St. Benedict |
established = 1897 (Direct linear descendant of Westminster Abbey, founded 1045–50) |
sister_college = None|
head_name = Master|
head = The Revd Dom Felix Stephens, OSB |
JCR President = Konstantin Schober|
MCR President = None (united common room) |
undergraduates = c. 50 |
graduates = c. 5 |
latitude = 51.757952 |
longitude = -1.260787 |
homepage= St. Benet's Website|
boat_club = St. Benet's}} St Benet's Hall is a Permanent Private Hall (PPH) of the University of Oxford.
St Benet's became a Permanent Private Hall of the University in 1918 when new University legislation created the status of PPH. Unlike some of the other PPHs, the Hall has never been a theological college, although this is a frequently stated misunderstanding. The Governing Body of the Hall are the Trustees of the St Lawrence Education Trust, and a number of functions are also performed by the St Benet's Hall Sub-Committee of the Governing Body. Its chief buildings consist of adjacent houses in St Giles.
As St. Benet's is a PPH of the University, its Fellows do not constitute its Governing Body; but they share with the Master the day-to-day running of the Hall, and elect one of their number to the St Benet's Hall Sub-Committee. The Hall matriculates students to be members of the University, and those of its members who have matriculated are full members of the University, and able to supplicate for degrees on the successful completion of their studies. For most of its members the only noticeable difference made by the Hall's legal status is that it is very much smaller than any of the Colleges.
Members of the Hall are individually members of the Oxford University Student Union (OUSU), but, following a dispute over OUSU's policy on reproductive health, the Hall disaffiliated in 1997, and is not represented in the OUSU Council. Students at St. Benet's are eligible for life membership of the Oxford Union Society.
The Hall is known as "Benet's" within the University, and is now the only constituent body of the University admitting men alone for undergraduate degrees. The recent review of the PPHs conducted by the University concluded that St Benet's had a 'good sense of its place within the collegiate University', and drew attention to the 'commitment and care' of the Hall's academic staff.
The Hall was initially set up in October 1897 at 103 Woodstock Road. This house is still in existence, opposite SS Philip and James Church, and is now a guest-house. The Hall lived there until 1904, when it moved to the former Grindle's Hall in Beaumont Street, from which it removed in 1922 to the present buildings of 38 and 39 St Giles. The Beaumont Street houses were demolished in 1938 to make space for the Oxford Playhouse theatre.
The Hall had primarily been a house for monks reading for degrees of the University of Oxford; but, over time, laymen have come to be the majority of the Hall's undergraduate members.
Current subjects in which students are admitted by St. Benet's include Theology, Theology and Philosophy, Classics, History (including both Ancient and Modern), History and Politics, and Oriental Studies.
Hall Officers and Staff
Bursar: The Master
Chaplain: Rev Adrian Convery OSB, MA
Senior Tutor and Tutor for Graduates: Dr Santha Bhattacharji MA, PhD (Tutor in English)
Dean and IT Fellow: Mr Julian Borthwick MA MSc MCSE
Junior Dean: Mr Philip McCosker MA MTS
Librarian: Mr Michael Black BSc MSt MBA
College Secretary: Mrs Wendy Bunning
IT Officer: Mr Brian Wright MA
Dr Brian Klug MA PhD (Senior Research Fellow in Philosophy)
Dr Joseph Shaw MA DPhil (Tutor in Philosophy) Dr Stuart Carney MB ChB MPH MRCPsych (Senior Research Fellow in Psychiatry) [
Dr Santha Bhattacharji MA PhD (Senior Tutor, Tutor in English) The Revd Dr Bernard Green OSB MA MPhil DPhil (Tutor in Theology) Mr John Eidinow MA, DipLaw, Barrister (Tutor in Classics) Mr Julian Borthwick BA MA MSc MCSE (Dean and IT Fellow)
The Revd Dr Ian Ker MA PhD HonD.Litt (Senior Research Fellow in Theology) Mr Stratford Caldecott MA (G.K. Chesterton Fellow) Dr Frances Reynolds BA PhD, Shillito Fellow in Assyriology, Oriental Institute (Senior Research Fellow and Tutor in Oriental Studies)
Dr Susan Doran BA PhD (Tutor in History)
Mr Philip McCosker MA MTS (Junior Research Fellow in Theology and Junior Dean)
The Revd John Moffat SJ MA (Chaplain to the University)
Dr Harry Sidebottom BA MA MPhil DPhil (Tutor in Ancient History)
The Very Revd Henry Wansbrough OSB MA STL LSS (Master 1990-2004, Titular Cathedral Prior of Norwich)
The Very Revd Leo Chamberlain OSB MA (Master 2004-07, Titular Cathedral Prior of Gloucester)
Professor Peter Hennessy MA FBA FRHistS (Attlee Professor of Contemporary History, QMUL)
Professor Henry Mayr-Harting MA DPhil FBA (Emeritus Regius Professor of Ecclesiastical History, University of Oxford)
Dr Jane Baun BA MA PhD (Research Lecturer in Byzantine Studies)
Dr Marina Bazzani MA DPhil (Research Lecturer in Classics; Faculty Lector)
Dr Jonathan Black-Branch MA DPhil BA LLB Med PhD (Professor of Law at Buckingham University) (Lecturer in Law)
Dr Jennifer Cooper BA MA DPhil (Lecturer in Theology)
Dr Yvonne Cornish MA DPhil (Lecturer in History)
Mr Ferdinando Giugliano BA, MPhil (Lecturer in Economics)
Mr Edward Turner MA (Lecturer in Politics)
Dr Cornelia van der Poll BA MPhil PhD (Lecturer in Ancient Greek)
The present J.C.R. Committee is:
A high standard of catering is provided by a dedicated staff.
Members of the Hall are entitled to invite guests to all meals. Of these, the universally acclaimed Sunday lunch is the most prestigious and keenly attended. A cherished tradition of the Hall is that there is one Common Table for all members, with the result that fellows, lecturers, monks, students, and their guests mix freely at all meals.