The rivers Glonn, Kupferbach and Schrannenbach rise within Glonn's municipal area, where the lake Kastensee is also to be found. Just inside the neighbouring community of Moosach lies the Steinsee, another lake. Glonn is also home to three protected areas.
Glonn lies roughly 30 km from the cities of Munich and Rosenheim.
In a donation document signed by the bishop of Freising on 21 March 774, Glonn is named as "Glan"; this is taken to be the earliest evidence of the town's founding. From about 1015, it is known that there was a local lordly family called "da Glana", and in 1349, the building register Monumenta Boica mentioned the Church of St. Johann zu Glan.
The name changed during the 16th century to "Glon" and then later to "Glonn", as it is still known now.
In 1632, during the Thirty Years' War, the Swedes burnt Glonn almost down to the ground. It took a very long time for the town to build itself back up again. Only in 1823, almost two centuries after the fire, was the new church finished and consecrated.
Since 1901, Glonn has had market rights and has had leave to hold yearly markets. Since 1908 there has been electricity, generated at the town's own power station by water power in some of the former mills. By 1914, 50% of Glonn's households were supplied.
Glonn shifted from a mainly agrarian village with little in the way of crafts to a modern minor centre with trade and crafts for the other nearby communities. Agriculture has sharply shrunk in importance.
After World War II Glonn was a refugee destination for those driven out of their homelands, those whose homes were bombed out and those who had been evacuated, and this new inflow of people eventually grew to become more than a third of the town's population. Many new houses had to be built, and in 1959 it became necessary to name the streets once the house numbering system in use up to the time was no longer useful for distinguishing addresses.
John the Baptist as church patron points to an early Christian baptismal church. Already by 1600 there was a Gothic church in the middle of the village. The current parish church's sacristy is a remnant of this earlier house of worship.
On town council, the SPD/KOMMA has 10 seats, including the mayor (Bürgermeister), and the CSU has 7 (as at July 2004).
At the beginning of 2007, an intra-Bavarian partnership with the community of Markt Schwaben in the same district was established. The goal of this unusual pairing is to be the dovetailing of regions in the northern and southern parts of the district that are otherwise split by the Ebersberg Forest.
Until the mid-1990s, this apparatus was still generating electricity and feeding it into the local grid. Since then, however, it has fallen into disuse, but may be viewed on request to the owner who lives at the mill.
In 1350, Otto von Pienzenau became by marriage Lord of Zinneberg. The castle’s ownership then passed in 1596, once again by marriage, to the Fugger family, in whose hands it remained for the next 230 years. In 1632, during the Thirty Years' War, Schloss Zinneberg was burnt down. At this time arose the legend that a secret passage, allegedly still existing today, between the castle and the town afforded some of the castle’s inhabitants an escape to safety. Already by 1640, Count Johannes Friedrich, himself a Fugger, had the castle rebuilt. In 1825, the castle was bought by Bavarian Electress Maria Leopoldine, who was married to Count Ludwig of Arco. She had it remodelled to her own tastes, and the castle is still mostly in this form today. From 1850 to 1868, the castle was owned by the Marquis Fabio von Pallavicini, who in turn sold it to Friedrich Wilhelm Scanzoni von Lichtenfels. In 1898, Baron Adolf von Büsing-Orville became the new lord of the castle. He was responsible for further expansions to the building, which still lend the castle a feudal character today.
Some of the town’s street names recall these noble families (“Preysingstr.”, “Pienzenauer Str.”, “Fuggerstr.”, “Arcostr.”, “von-Scanzoni-Str.”, “Büssingstr.”).
On 14 September 1927 the castle was bought for 735,000 Reichsmarks by the Sisters of the Good Shepherd (Schwestern vom guten Hirten), who run it today as a residential school for girls from difficult social backgrounds. They also run a kindergarten there.
During the First World War, part of the castle was used as a military hospital with 60 beds. After the Second World War broke out, the training building was confiscated as a reserve Wehrmacht field hospital. In the Cold War, underground bunkers were built whose foreseen use was as a stationary auxiliary hospital.
After the old church was destroyed in the Thirty Years’ War, a new church was begun about 1768, but finished and consecrated only in 1823. It is built in the Rococo style and contains altar figures and a crucifix with Schmerzhafte Muttergottes (“Mater Dolorosa”) by the artist Joseph Götsch (a student of Ignaz Günther). In 1994 the church was completely renovated.
In the Third Reich, however, they were expelled from the school on 25 March 1937. This led to fierce protests by the girls’ parents and in the end drew the Gestapo’s attention when somebody put what is known locally as a Pfingstlümmel (a straw “Whitsun doll”) on the neighbouring boys’ school roof on Whitsunday. It was wearing a brown shirt such as was commonly worn by SA men, and also a Communist cap.
The nuns were able to start classes again after the war ended. As of 1964, there were mixed classes.
In the mid-1970s, the town acquired the convent and school building that had since been forsaken. Sometime later it was converted into a cultural and social centre for the community. The Homeland Museum mentioned above was given a home on the top floor. The “Altenstube” on the ground floor affords senior citizens a social venue. Also found in the building are the local chapter of the Bavarian Red Cross and a daycare centre. In the basement, a youth centre has been set up. For a time, the old classrooms were even once again used as such when the neighbouring elementary school needed overflow room to handle great numbers of pupils who were threatening to burst the school’s seams.
The old chapel with its sacristy and siderooms in the west part of the building is now used as an exhibition gallery. One can also rent the room for events. The community offers it as an attractive alternative to the registry office for civil marriage ceremonies.
The neighbouring convent garden with its fountain is open to the public and serves as an oasis in the middle of the town.
In the Schrottgalerie Friedel (“Friedel Scrap Metal Gallery”) one can find all kinds of odd things made by a Glonn artist who makes sculptures out of scrap metal, which have already found a lasting place in many households. The Steinbeißer (“Stonebiter”), as tall as a man and found on the way into town right next to the car dealership of the same name, comes from this workshop.
Die kleine Galerie is a further platform for various artists.
Various sporting grounds serve bodily fitness. The central school sporting ground and the football field in the constituent community of Adling are used for training and league games by the ASV’s (Allgemeiner Sportverein – “Common Sport Club”) football teams. A basketball court is also open to the town’s youth outside school hours, as are the two football pitches, each furnished with goals. A tennis court is also available. Two public children’s playgrounds fill out Glonn’s sport and leisure facilities.
The scenic countryside around the town invites hikers and cyclists, and when there is enough snow, the winter sport club runs a well groomed cross-country ski loop. Two small lifts at the Finkenhöhe are used by skiers. The lakes in the area afford bathing in the summer and skating in the winter.
Many guesthouses and beer gardens round out the town’s offerings for visitors.
On one Saturday in mid-July, visitors to the Nachtflohmarkt (“Night Flea Market”) throng through the main street, mostly by candlelight and lantern light.
Known far and wide is the Glonner Dorffest (“Glonn Village Festival”) which has been put on by the bigger clubs in Glonn since 1992 (Friday to Monday on the first weekend in the Bavarian summer holidays). Since many Glonners actually belong to one of these clubs, a good time is assured.
Connections with neighbouring communities are provided by several buslines, which also afford connections with Munich S-Bahn lines S4 and S6 in the Munich Transport and Tariff Association. Glonn lies in this system’s outermost fare zone.
By 1894, the local railway line between Grafing station and Glonn reached its end point at Glonn. The line was, however, abandoned in 1970 owing to low ridership. Now found where the old railway station was is a large-scale bus station with two waiting room buildings and several bus bays. The name Bahnhofplatz – “Railway Station Square” – has been retained. The railway embankment can still be seen running through the Glonn Valley to Moosach. A plan to turn it into a cycling path has never been realized.
Munich Airport (MUC) is roughly 60 km away.
The State Council Office (Landratsamt), the court (Amtsgericht), police headquarters and other authorities responsible for Glonn are in Ebersberg.
Ebersberg notaries each hold, as a rule, a monthly office day at Glonn’s town hall.
The local health insurance company offers advice every month at the town hall.
US Patent Issued to Airbus Operations on May 7 for "Aerodynamic Profile for Aircraft and Wind Power Stations and Method of Measuring the Thickness of Ice on an Aerodynamic Profile" (German Inventors)
May 07, 2013; ALEXANDRIA, Va., May 7 -- United States Patent no. 8,434,365, issued on May 7, was assigned to Airbus Operations GmbH (Hamburg,...
US Patent Issued to Siemens on April 16 for "Method and an Apparatus for Automatic Extraction of Process Goals" (Austrian, German Inventors)
Apr 16, 2013; ALEXANDRIA, Va., April 16 -- United States Patent no. 8,423,952, issued on April 16, was assigned to Siemens AG (Munchen,...