is an inner-city suburb
. Glebe is located 3 kilometres
south-west the Sydney central business district
and is part of the local government area
of the City of Sydney
, in the Inner West
Glebe surrounds Blackwattle Bay, an inlet of Sydney Harbour, in the north. The suburb of Ultimo lies to the east and the suburbs of Annandale and Forest Lodge lie to the west. The southern boundary is formed by Parramatta Road and Broadway. Broadway is a locality around the road of the same name, which is located on the border of Glebe, Chippendale and Ultimo.
Glebe's name derives from the fact that the land on which it was developed was a glebe
, originally owned by the Anglican Church
. 'The Glebe' was a land grant of 400 acres given by Governor Arthur Phillip
to Reverend Richard Johnson
, Chaplain of the First Fleet
, in 1790.
The suburb of Glebe was once home to a first grade football team in the New South Wales Rugby League (now the National Rugby League). The Glebe Dirty Reds were relatively successful and played some games at Wentworth Park. Despite this relative success, this foundation club formed in 1908, did not win a premiership, and was ultimately excluded from the competition in 1930.
Glebe Point Road
is the main road through the suburb, featuring a shopping
strip, known for its specialty shops, restaurants and cafés
. The Broadway Shopping Centre
has been built on the landmark site of the former Grace Brothers
Department Store. Though it has been seen in recent years that local businesses on Glebe Point Road have slowly been sapped of business by the construction and refurbishment of the Broadway Shopping Centre, this has been a major point of contention. The shopping centre includes a food court and cinema complex, and has completed a renovation in July 2007 which added a fourth floor.
- Sze Yup Temple (Chinese: 四邑廟) is located in Edward Street and was originally built in 1898 by Chinese immigrants from Sze Yup, Guangdong province, China. It provided a focal point for the early Chinese market gardeners in the area. It is still in use today. The present building, which replaced one destroyed by fire, dates from 1955. A further fire occurred in January 2008, damaging the roof and all its contents.
- Toxteth Park - George Allen who established a legal firm and became Lord Mayor of Sydney in 1844, built Toxteth Park. St Scholastica's College moved to this site from Pitt Street in the centre of Sydney, in 1901.
- Lyndhurst - This gracious mansion was built between 1833 and 1837 for Dr James Bowman who was the principal surgeon of the nearby Sydney Hospital.
- Coroner's Court of New South Wales. It is prominently located on Parramatta Road and often in the news due to inquests being conducted there.
The following buildings are listed on the Register of the National Estate:
- Presbyterian Church, Bridge Road
- Reussdale (formerly Presbyterian Church Manse), Bridge Road
- Hamilton, Bridge Road
- The Hermitage, Bridge Road
- Lyndhurst, Darghan Street
- Tranby, Mansfield Street
- St John's Church, Glebe Point Road
- Post Office, Glebe Point Road
- Court House, St Johns Road
- Police Station, St Johns Road
- St John's Glebe Parish Hall (formerly Record Reign Hall), St Johns Road
- Glebe Town Hall, St Johns Road
St Johns Anglican Church, St James Catholic Church. The Abbey is a former church site awaiting redevelopment.
Schools in the suburb include Glebe Public School (on Glebe Point Road), St James Catholic School (on Woolley Street) and St Scholastica's College (on Avenue Road).
The Blackwattle Bay Campus
of Sydney Secondary College sits on the site of the old Glebe High School.
Glebe has a popular market which is held on Saturdays in the grounds of Glebe Primary School. Arts, crafts, trendy clothing and edibles are abundant. They are known as the alternative markets for the alternative lifestyle goods that are offered. New and pre-loved goods are sold here.
Sport and Recreation
Harold Park Paceway is a harness racing
track in Glebe. The NSW Harness Racing Club is located in Ross Street. Wentworth Park
, which features a greyhound
racing track, is on the border with Ultimo
Glebe mini skateboarding ramp is located in Bicentennial Park off Chapman road, in between Glebe and Annandale. The mini was originally 3.5 foot tall with a hump in the middle. Circa 2005 the original mini was removed and replaced with a traditional 4 foot ramp, sans hump.
19th century housing stock is largely intact, having undergone restoration as a result ofgentrification
. It is popular with city-workers and students
due to its proximity to the University of Sydney
and University of Technology Sydney
. Glebe is popular with backpackers
as the suburb has many conveniences and is served by tram and a regular bus route.
At its south-eastern end is the Glebe Estate, an area of Housing Commission properties purchased by the government of Gough Whitlam to provide public housing for the needy. This area today has the third highest Aboriginal population in Sydney.