Gleason Leonard Archer, Jr.
– April 27
) was a Biblical scholar
, and author
Archer's father was Gleason Archer, Sr.
, the founder of Suffolk University
in Boston. Archer graduated in 1938 with a B.A.
from Harvard University
(summa cum laude
) and received an LL.B.
from Suffolk Law School
in 1939, the same year he was admitted to the Massachusetts bar
. In 1940 he received a masters degree
and in 1944 he was awarded a Ph.D.
at Harvard University in Classics. Finally he received his Bachelor of Divinity
from Princeton Theological Seminary
Archer served as a Pastor of Park Street Church
from 1945 to 1948. He then became a Professor of Biblical Languages at Fuller Theological Seminary
in Pasadena, California
from 1948 to 1965. From 1965 to 1986 he served as a Professor of Old Testament
at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
, Deerfield, Illinois
. He became an emeritus
faculty member in 1989. The remainder of his life was spent researching, writing, and lecturing.
Archer served as one of the 50 original translators of the NASB published in 1971. He also worked on the team which translated the NIV Bible published in 1978.
His defense of the doctrine of Biblical inerrancy by proposing harmonizations and exegesis regarding inconsistencies in the Bible made Archer a well known biblical inerrantist. He stated: "One cannot allow for error in history-science without also ending up with error in doctrine. He was critical of the documentary hypothesis which denies the Mosaic authorship of the Pentateuch.
- Archer, Gleason Leonard, Jr. The Book of Job: God's Answer to the Problem of Undeserved Suffering. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, c1982.
- Archer, Gleason Leonard, Jr. A descriptive catalog of the Trinity Evangelical Divinity School Biblical coin collection. Deerfield, Ill. : Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, 1986.
- Archer, Gleason Leonard, Jr. Encyclopedia of Bible Difficulties. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, c1982. ISBN 0-310-43570-6
- Archer, Gleason Leonard, Jr. The Epistle to the Hebrews: A Study Manual. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, c1957.
- Archer, Gleason Leonard, Jr. The Epistle to the Romans: A Study Manual. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, c1959.
- Archer, Gleason Leonard, Jr. In the Shadow of the Cross. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, c1957.
- Archer, Gleason Leonard, Jr. "The reception of Pindar in Germany during the eighteenth century". Thesis (Ph. D.)--Harvard University, 1944.
- Archer, Gleason Leonard, Jr. A Survey of Old Testament Introduction. Chicago: Moody, C1974. Updated and revised ed., c1994, ISBN 0-8024-8200-7, c2007, ISBN 0-8024-8434-4.
- Archer, Gleason Leonard, Jr. and Gregory Chirichigno. Old Testament quotations in the New Testament. Chicago : Moody Press, 1983. ISBN 0-8024-0236-4
- Archer, Gleason, Paul Feinberg, and Douglas Moo. Three Views on the Rapture. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, c1996. ISBN 0-310-21298-7
- Archer, Gleason Leonard, Jr.; Walter C Kaiser and Ronald F Youngblood. A Tribute to Gleason Archer. Chicago : Moody Press, 1986. ISBN 0-8024-8780-7
- Harris, R. Laird, Gleason Leonard Archer, Jr., and Bruce K Waltke. Theological wordbook of the Old Testament. Chicago : Moody Press, 1980. ISBN 0-8024-8631-2
- Hill, Gary Hill and Gleason Leonard Archer, Jr. The Discovery Bible. New American Standard, New Testament (Reference Ed.). Chicago : Moody Press, 1987. ISBN 0-8024-4159-9
- Jerome, Saint. Jerome's commentary on Daniel. Translated by Gleason Leonard Archer, Jr. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 1958.
- Robbins, David L. Gleason L. Archer. Boston : Suffolk University, 1980