The City Chambers (built 1882-90, architect William Young) of Glasgow, Scotland, are the headquarters of Glasgow City Council, the largest local authority in Scotland, and were completed in 1889. Located on the eastern side of the city's George Square, Queen Victoria performed the inauguration ceremony in August 1888, and the first Council meeting was held in October 1889. The buildings are a good example of Victorian civic architecture.
The entrance hall of the Chambers displays a mosaic of the city's coat of arms on the floor. The arms reflect legends about Glasgow's patron saint, Saint Mungo, and include four emblems - the bird, tree, bell, and fish - as remembered in the following verse:
A tapestry hanging in the hall is intended to represent Glasgow's past and present, and from a distance appears almost Japanese in style.
From the corridor one passes through into the Council Chamber. This is where the Council meets formally, and is one of the most impressive rooms in the City Chambers. There are seats for each of the 79 councillors, all facing the Lord Provost (the Scottish equivalent of the lord mayor found in London and other cities), his Depute, and the Chief Executive, who are seated behind the mace. A public gallery looks down on the proceedings, and a small press gallery is located at the side.
The municipal mace is kept in an ante-room leading to the Lord Provost's office. Part of the ritual of the Council's proceedings is that the mace is carried by the Council Officer when leading the Lord Provost into the Council Chamber to chair full council meetings. The mace is made from gold-plated silver, and was presented to the council in 1912.
Next to the Council Chamber, you come across three rooms used for civic functions and large meetings: the Satinwood Salon, Octagonal Room, and Mahogany Salon. These rooms are decorated in fine woods as their names imply, and also house a selection of fine paintings.
The grandest room in the Chambers is the Banqueting Hall. Its magnificence has impressed heads of state, and it has witnessed many different types of events, from formal civil ones to record launches, fashion shows, children's Christmas parties and private functions. Nelson Mandela received his Freedom of the City here in 1993.
The hall is 33.5m long by 14.6m wide and 15.8m high. The carpet comes in three sections which are rotated regularly to prevent wear. The carpet design reflects the ornate pattern of the roof. Huge murals decorate the walls, depicting the granting of the city's charter, its history and culture, and the four main Scottish rivers. The hall's electric chandeliers, or "electroliers", were designed in 1885.
The daily tours of the Chambers conclude with the Upper Gallery on the third floor, which lets one see the detail on the beautiful dome visible from the other floors, as well as portraits of former Lord Provosts.
The City Chambers of Glasgow, with its architectural features and position as a seat of local government ensure its appeal to locals and other Scots.