The mechanic Andreas Glas founded a repair company for agricultural machines at 1895 in Pilsting. He named the company Andreas Glas, Reparaturwerkstätte für landwirtschaftliche Maschinen mit Dampfbetrieb (in English: Andreas Glas, repair-shop for steam-powered agricultural machines). During the summer periods about 16 people worked for him. In 1905 Andreas Glas' company built their first sowing machines. He then had sufficient work to employ all his employees during the winters. The production of sowing machines rose from year to year:
Since 1905 Glas had a branch office in Dingolfing. He started to produce in Dingolfing in 1908 with 150 sowing machines per year. The production count rose each year.
After World War II, the market for sowing machines was getting smaller and smaller. So the company had to decide what it would produce in the future. It decided to build little carrows and later working machines for bakers next to the sowing machines.
Glas were known for small cars like the Goggomobil. However in 1964 the company introduced the Glas 1300GT coupe and later the 1700GT. The body was designed by Pietro Frua. However competition, mostly from British cars, was tough and in 1966 released the 2600GT powered by a SOHC V8 engine, with a volume just under 2.6 litres. However this didn't help and later the same year the company was sold to BMW. The Glas models were kept in production by BMW, but fitted with BMW engines. The Glas 1300 GT coupe was fitted with a 1.6 litre BMW engine and renamed BMW 1600 GT. BMW also fitted a 3 litre engine and named it 3000 GT. This model kept the Glas name, but had a BMW logo in the front and rear. In 1968 BMW created their own large coupe, the BMW 2500 CS, and this meant the end for Glas. 277 copies of 2600 GT was made and 389 of the 3000 GT.
The scooter had 125 cc motor in the beginning. Then 150 cc and 200 cc in the end. Up until 1956 46,181 motor scooters were built. Then production of scooters stopped because of the Goggomobil cars. From 1953 on, load-carrying scooters were built as well. They had the 200 cc engine and 9.5 bhp. They were able to carry 250 kg.
At the end of 1966 Glas became a part of BMW. The 04-type, the GT and the 1700 sedan were given BMW badges in the last year of their production.
The GT was reengineered and so it was built with a BMW-engine and a -rearaxle and sold as BMW 1600 GT until 1968.
The V8 got a bigger engine constructed by Glas and was also sold until 1968 as BMW-GLAS 3000 V8.
The 1700 sedan was built and sold by a South African importer with several changes as BMW 1800 SA until 1974.