On maps, diagrams and signboards, the line is shown with coloured circle or line of orange ▉, and its stations are given numbers following the letter G.
The portion between and was completed on December 30, 1927 and publicized as "the first underground railway in the Orient." It was actually the first fully underground railway in East Asia. Upon its opening, the line was so popular that a passenger often had to wait more than two hours to get on a train for a five-minute trip.
In January 1, 1930, the subway was extended by 1.7 km to temporary Manseibashi Station, abandoned on November 21, 1931 when the subway reached , 500 meters further down south the line. The capital crunch resulting from the Great Kanto Earthquake of 1923 slowed down construction, but the line finally reached its originally planned terminus of on June 21, 1934.
In 1938, the , a company tied to the predecessor of today's Tokyu Corporation, began service between and , later extended to Shinbashi in 1939. The two lines began through-service interoperation in 1939 and were formally merged as the Teito Rapid Transit Authority ("Eidan Subway" or "TRTA") in July 1941.
The "Ginza Line" name was applied in 1953 to distinguish the line from the new Marunouchi Line. In the postwar economic boom, the Ginza Line became increasingly crowded. The new Hanzōmon Line began to relieve the Ginza Line's traffic in the 1980s. The Ginza Line still is one of the Tokyo's most crowded, however, because its train cars are not long in sizes and it stops at numerous major stations.
The Ginza Line uses a total of 38 six-car 01 series EMUs which have a maximum speed of 80 km/h. Each car is 16 m long and 2.6 m wide, with three doors on each side. Both the Ginza Line and the Marunouchi Line run on standard gauge (1,435 mm) rails powered by a 600 V DC third rail, while the other Tokyo Metro lines run on narrow gauge (1,067 mm) rails and use 1,500 V DC overhead.
Cars are stored and inspected at the , a facility located northeast of Ueno Station with both above-ground and underground tracks. The facility is capable of holding up to 20 6-car formations. Major inspections are carried out at Tokyo Metro's Nakano on the Marunouchi Line forwarding over a connecting track at Akasaka-Mitsuke.
On weekdays, trains run every two minutes in morning, and 2 minutes and 15 seconds in evening. It's same as holidays, the interval in afternoon is 3 minutes. This line is one of the most frequent served lines for passengers, like JR East Yamanote Line and Chūō Line. Its first trains start from Shibuya and Asakusa at 5:01 in early morning, and the last ones reach Shibuya at 0:37, and Asakusa at 0:39 in midnight.
|G-15||Ueno-hirokoji||At Naka-okachimachi: |
At Keisei Ueno: