are a group of fictional comic book
characters that appeared in every major title published by Valiant Comics
. The Earth has only one Geomancer at a time. When the line was rebooted
by Acclaim Entertainment
, they, unlike many other characters, didn't reappear in any incarnation.
Geomancers are an order of psionic men and women that have existed since 3500 BC. Geomancers have an ability to pick psychic residue and impressions from nearby objects and living organisms. They perceive those impressions as "whispers". Geomancers often act as keepers, collectors and preservers of information. On many occasions, they alerted other heroes of dangers they might not otherwise be aware of. Geomancers are very sensitive to changes in time-space continuum, which grants them a certain degree of precognition. They possess limited healing abilities. Unlike other psionics, they cannot be psychically controlled or influenced. The Earth itself shields them from invading psychic influence.
In every generation, there are many people who have a potential to become Geomancers. However, there is only one Geomancer operating at the time. When a Geomancer dies, his or her chosen successor takes their place. When a Geomancer has reached the end of his life-cycle his power is removed by a suicide ritual called Bagh-Nakh.
Geomancers were instrumental in many pivotal events in Valiant Universe, including the Unity Conflict, the birth and upbringing of Magnus, Robot Fighter, the struggle against the Darque Power, the Harbinger Wars, etcetera. Gilad, the Eternal Warrior, has served as the "Fist and Steel" of the Geomancers for most of his immortal life.
Geomancer Tashi Khatun authored a book entitled, The Book of Geomancer -- The tome of ultimate knowledge and a highly sought after item in the Valiant Universe.
There have been numerous Geomancers. Here's an incomplete list.
- Approximately 3500 BC to 3366 BC: Khanit, first geomancer [Eternal Warrior #1; Geomancer #7, #8]
- 3366 BC to 3352 BC and on: Valurr, first geomancer as we know them now [Geomancer #3, #7, #8]
- 3250 BC to 3225 BC (estimated period): Talk of possible geomancer in Anatolia [Eternal Warrior #37]
- 3210 BC to 3185 BC (estimated period): Unnamed geomancer in Mesopotamia [Eternal Warrior #1]
- Before 326 BC to 324 BC: Hephaestion guiding Alexander in India, died in Ecbatana [Eternal Warrior #23, Geomancer #4]
- From 324 BC: Khandania [Eternal Warrior #23, Geomancer #4]
- 210 BC (start and end dates unknown): Li-Sung [Eternal Warrior #4]
- 12 BC (start and end dates unknown): Gandhyrras [Eternal Warrior #6]
- 29 AD (start and end dates unknown): Jared Sahin [Eternal Warrior #17, #18]
- 79 AD (start and end dates unknown): Unnamed geomancer in Abu Simbel [Eternal Warrior #12]
- 408 AD (start and end dates unknown): Zenoba [X-O Yearbook #1]
- Approximately 550 AD (start and end dates unknown): Nimue [Eternal Warrior #31]
- 970 AD (start and end dates unknown): Unnamed geomancer in Rome [Eternal Warrior #13]
- Before 1132 AD to 1192 AD: Tashi Khatun [Eternal Warrior #9, Geomancer #1]
- 1192 AD to 1197 AD: No geomancer
- From 1197 AD: Kozo Tokimasa [Eternal Warrior #27]
- Until 1320 AD: Arani [Eternal Warrior #28]
- From 1320 AD: Sahbel [Eternal Warrior #22, #28]
- Before 1429 AD to 1431 AD: Joan the Maid [Geomancer #5]
- 1661 AD (start and end dates unknown): Duchess Angelique D'Terre [Archer and Armstrong #8]
- Before 1695 AD to after 1716 AD: Unnamed boy [Eternal Warrior #2]
- 1720 AD (start and end dates unknown): Native American [Eternal Warrior #46]
- Before or from 1836 AD: A Cherokee (it is possible that his mother who dies here was a geomancer too) [Geomancer #6]
- 1844 AD (start and end dates unknown): Unnamed geomancer near Afghanistan [Eternal Warrior #47]
- Until 1888 AD: A geomancer named Buck [Eternal Warrior #34]
- From 1889 AD to 1992 AD: Buck McHenry (died 1993) [Eternal Warrior #7; Solar #10]
- 1992 AD to 1994 AD: Geoff McHenry [Solar #10, Chaos Effect Omega]
- From 1994 AD: Clay McHenry [Geomancer #1]
- Before 1999 AD to 2062 AD: Geoff McHenry again [Rai #0]
- From 2062 AD: Lucinda Mendez (in training since 2056) [Rai #0; Timewalker #6, #7, #8] - She succeeded her "uncle" Geoff McHenry in 2062, and was influential in the Harbinger Resistance.
- 2900 AD (start and end dates unknown): Yuri Pierce [Rai 0; Timewalker 8 (with wrong year listed)]
- 3002 AD (start and end dates unknown): Unnamed geomancer resembling Geoff [Solar #12]
- Until approximately 3998 AD: Ana Kawainui [Magnus #15]
- From approximately 3998 AD to 4020 AD: Rokland Tate [Magnus #15, #43]
- From 4020 AD: Armstrong [Magnus #46]
Magnus, Robot Fighter #14 shows three possibly unidentified geomancers: One dark-skinned, one dressed in 17th century Puritan garb, and one American Indian. At least the Puritan is not in the list above and would likely be from the 17th century. It has been mentioned that the American Indian could have been intended to be Andar.
Geomancer #1 possibly shows one unidentified Geomancer. Or it could be the failed Geomancer from the Eternal Warrior Yearbook 1.
There are several cases of Geomancers in training that have not became Geomancers.