Nerd Pride Day, or Geek Pride Day, is an initiative which claims the right of every person to be a nerd or a geek. Of Spanish origin ("día del orgullo friki" in Spain), it is celebrated nowadays among Spanish frikis (an equivalent of geeks and nerds).
This day is celebrated on May 25 since 2006, celebrating the premiere of the first Star Wars movie in 1977.
In 2006, this day was celebrated for the first time all over Spain and on the Internet
, thanks to the publicity given by some media as:
The biggest concentration took place in Madrid, where 300 Geeks demonstrated their pride together with a human pacman.
In 2007, the celebration counted with more help from Official institutions (as the Price Circus
in Madrid) and has been more widely celebrated throughout Spain. Official acts were announced in Pilar de la Horadada
A Nerd Blood Donation campaign took place.
Among other acts, the movie "Gritos en el pasillo" ("Screams in the corridor") was presented.
Basic rights and responsibilities of nerds
A manifesto was created to celebrate the first Nerd Pride Day which included the following list of basic rights and responsibilities of nerds.
- The right to be even nerdier.
- The right to not leave your house.
- The right to not have a significant other and to be a virgin.
- The right to not like football or any other sport.
- The right to associate with other nerds.
- The right to have few friends (or none at all).
- The right to have all the nerdy friends that you want.
- The right to not be "in-style."
- The right to be overweight and have poor eyesight.
- The right to show off your nerdiness.
- The right to take over the world.
- Be a nerd, no matter what.
- Try and be nerdier than anyone else.
- If there is a discussion about something nerdy, you must give your opinion.
- Save any and all nerdy things you have.
- Do everything you can to show off your nerdy stuff as though it were a "museum of nerdiness."
- Don't be a generalized nerd. You must specialize in something.
- Attend every nerdy movie on opening night and buy every nerdy book before anyone else.
- Wait in line on every opening night. If you can go in costume or at least with a related t-shirt, all the better.
- Don't waste your time on anything not related to nerddom.
- Try to take over the world!