The town of Galvarino was founded on April 22th, 1882 within the frame of the occupation of Araucanía by general Gregorio Urrutia, next to river Quillem as a Fort of 2500 square meters area. Together with Curacautín, Lonquimay, Lautaro, Melipeuco, Perquenco, Victoria and Vilcún form the Electoral District N° 49 and it is part of 14th Senatorial Circunscription (North Araucanía). It is equipped with all basic services. Its population come eminently from original mapuche indigenous people. The area was colonized fundamentally by Swiss colonizers. The main economic activity is forestal activity, shown as great amount of the territory dedicated to production of forestal trees, like eucalyptus and pines.