The center opened on October 8, 1955 near the grounds of the Metropolitan State Hospital and closed on January 31, 1992. It was named after William C. Gaebler, the second superintendent of the Metropolitan State Hospital. The Massachusetts Department of Mental Health (DMH) closed the center as it was antiquated and could no longer serve the needs of the children it housed. According to the DMH, this closure coincided with the decision to place mentally ill children in community settings instead of in institutional settings. Others felt the center was closed due to budget cuts.
State to close Gaebler, staffers say Waltham facility provides long-term care for severely disturbed children
Aug 19, 1992; The Weld administration is closing Massachusetts' only public psychiatric facility for severely disturbed children -- the William...