It is the property of the Monterrey Institute of Technology and Higher Education. The Monterrey Football Club play their home games there, but only rent the space and are not affiliated with the Institute.
The stadium was opened in July 17, 1950 by Mexican president Miguel Alemán Valdés. Originally, it seated 20,000 spectators, but in 1985 it was expanded to 38,000 seats. In the early 90's executive boxes were added which reduced the capacity to its current figure.