(born December 13th, 1943) is a traditional Japanese martial arts practitioner who holds a number of Soke
positions in Japanese schools of martial arts. Specialising in various weapon forms (Bojutsu
) and unarmed fighting methods. He is also an author and has appeared in numerous world media.
His grandfather, who was in charge of the Emperor's protection, instilled in him a drive to learn kobudo from an early age. He began his formal martial arts training at the age of 13 with Kendo
attaining a 4th Dan at 25 years old.
In 1963, Soke Tanaka was accepted as a disciple by Nichikan Kobayashi
, 10th Soke
of the old school of Enshin Ryu
sword. The Otachi
sword employed in this school is more than 2 meters long, a compromise between the large sword, the lance and the halberd. In 1975, Fumon Tanaka was selected to succeed his Master as the head of the school and became the 11th Sōke after having received, in 1973, the certificate of complete mastery (menkyo kaiden
); He thus receives in 1975 Gokui kaiden, (transmission of all the major techniques) of the school Enshin Ryu, concerning:
Kukishin and Yoshin Ryu
In 1973 Tanaka Sensei is accepted as a secret disciple
of the Head-Master Minaki Saburoji Masanori 17th Master of the Kukishin Ryu and Hontai Yoshin Ryu Jujutsu (Bo
). In 1985, he receives the title of Menkyo Kaiden. The 18th Soké of the Kukishin and Yoshin Ryu schools, Mr Kyodo Matsuda
was Sōke only one day. He then named Sōke Tanaka as 19th Soké of the Kukishin Ryu
and Takagi Hontai Yoshin Ryu Jujutsu.
Fumon Tanaka is currently Sōke
of the following ryū
- 19th Sōke - Kukishin Ryu Bujutsu
- 11th Sōke - Koden Enshin Ryu
- 4th Sōke - The restored school Honmon Enshin Ryu Suemonogiri Kenpo
- 19th Sōke - Tenshin Hyoho Shoden Kukamishin Ryu
- Hontai Takagi Yoshin Ryu
- Bokuden Ryu
- Shinto Tenshin Ryu (Tenshin Koryu)
- Shindenfudo Ryu
- Asayama Ichiden Ryu
- 1974 - Soke attained 7th Dan in Swordsmanship at 31yrs old, for Yawara Ju Jutsu and Iai Jutsu by Japanese Zen Kobudo Sogo Renmei.
- 1989 - he received the title of Hanshi 8th Dan at the age of 46 years, he is the youngest person so highly graded in an Official Japanese Federation. He is 9th Dan of the World Jujutsu Federation.
He has appeared in the BBC series Mind, Body & Kick Ass Moves
and is shown in episode 7..