Fuifui Moana Moimoi
(born 26 September 1979
), also incorrectly written Fui Fui Moi Moi
, is an New Zealand
and Tongan rugby league
player for the Parramatta Eels
in the National Rugby League
competition. Fuifui Moimoi was born in Tonga
. Moimoi made his debut for New Zealand
in a 58-0 defeat to Australia in Wellington on 14th October 2007. The man with Tongan heritage is a hero at the Parramatta club, with club fans screaming his name when he gets the ball in hand. He also previously played for the South Sydney Rabbitohs
- Career Stats: New Zealand for a one off Test against Great Britain in June 2006 but he was denied the chance to represent due to the lack of success of his club side Parramatta. He is a member of the Tongan National Rugby League team. Moimoi is eligible for Tonga as well as either Australia or New Zealand. He has yet to pledge allegiances to Australia or New Zealand.
"I'm going home. I play 10 minutes, I train 10 minutes," (Moimoi famously to then Souths coach Paul Langmack, after he walked away from training after the warm-up. Moimoi was upset due to his lack of game time)
"Some of the players think I'm dirty, but I'm not. I just want to play tough, [but] if I get sent off again, probably that's it for my career." (16/6/2007, Sydney Morning Herald)
"When I get the ball, I just like to run it hard" (18/4/2007, Channel 9 News, Australia)
"I am looking forward to the game, we see what happens" (18/4/2007, Channel 10 News at Five, Australia)
"Sometimes I'd get the ball and run and I wouldn't pass to the wing, I'd just keep running - and that's when the coach said, 'I might put you in the middle'," (16/6/2007, Sydney Morning Herald)
Representative Rugby League
On Tuesday September 8th 2007, News.com.au reported Australian selectors have inquired about the international eligibility of Moimoi. Moimoi went to school in New Zealand, was born in Tonga and qualifies for Australia under residency rules.
Moimoi can play for Tonga as well as either Australia or New Zealand. Australian Rugby League chief executive Geoff Carr revealed Australian selectors asked about the eligibility of Moimoi. Australia is considering picking Moimoi if he indeed wishes to play for the Kangaroos.
On Monday 24th September 2007, the New Zealand Rugby League association confirmed Fuifui Moimoi's inclusion into the Kiwis Train-On squad to take on Australia, Great Britain and France for the end of season tests. He is supported by his Parramatta Eels team mates and Captain Nathan Cayless as well as Kiwi-kid sensation Krisnan Inu in the squad. Moimoi had previously confirmed on live television (NRL Footy Show) his intention and honour along with West Tigers sensation Taniela Tuiaki (both of Tongan heritage) to play for the Kiwis if selected.
He has been named in the New Zealand training squad for the 2008 Rugby League World Cup.
He has been named in the Tonga squad for the 2008 Rugby League World Cup.
Sydney radio station 2GB has a song dedicated to Fuifui Moimoi who has reached cult status in Sydney. The song is to the tune of ABBA
's "Honey, Honey" with words inspired by Moimoi.
Fuifui Moimoi Song Lyrics
Fuifui, you're Fantastic, aha Fuifui
Fuifui, you're a classic, aha Fuifui
We hadn't seen you play before
Now we have, we want some more
Souths showed you the door
What a signing Smithy
Fuifui, have you met Dennis, aha Fitzy Fitzy
Fuifui, you're so precious, aha Fuifui
You look like you're an angry man
Ray is a Fui Moimoi fan
Parra's fans really dig you,
After your debut,
Oh we love you Fui
- Fuifui made his First Grade debut on 18 April 2004, in a round 6 match against the Manly Sea-eagles at Brookvale Oval turning the game around single handed.
- Fui was suspended towards the end of the 2005 season for 9 weeks for a reckless challenge on Brisbane's Berrick Barnes. Moimoi made his NRL return on Friday 21 April 2006 against the Wests Tigers. His first touch was a kick regather. He also made 2 game breaking charge downs and numerous aggressive tackles.
- Fui has represented New Zealand Residents.
- Fui is contracted to the Parramatta Eels until the end of 2008.
- Fuifui Moimoi was sent off on 29 July 2006 for a high swinging arm on Manly's Brent Kite. He was suspended for 7 weeks.
- In his first match of the 2007 NRL season on 17/3 against the NZ Warriors Moimoi injured his knee is sat out the next 4 weeks. Moimoi made is return against the Penrith Panthers on the 13/4/2007. He made the most meters by any forward and made a match turning line break.
- Fuifui's low centre of gravity (height towards the ground) makes it hard to keep him down mostly from on the burst runs, Fui is also famous for hes ball returns from kick off as he speeds with the ball.