Greetings From Out Here
is a 1993
road trip documentary film
which captures the people, places, and politics, of gay America in the Deep South
On her journey, filmmaker Ellen Spiro
visits memorable landmarks, events, and just plain characters, including Mardi Gras
, Gay Pride
, the Gay Rodeo
, Miss Miller's Eternal Love and Care Pet Cemetery and the Short Mountain Radical Faerie sanctuary.
Interviews with gay men and lesbians throughout the film demonstrate the wide range of Southern lives, from Rita, a retired military officer, now a drag queen in New Orleans to Iris, a black lesbian living in a bus in the Ozarks.
With clarity and insight the subjects in Greetings From Out Here address the impact of AIDS in the rural South, the politics of being gay in the South, and the relationship between the gay and civil rights movements.
"A wise-cracking, determinedly anti-mythic video artist with a gift for finding community wherever she turns, Spiro defines the roadmovie on her own terms in an exhilarating new work. Her curious, wry, observant, and admirably uninvasive way of shooting conveys a vital feeling of identification with her subjects."
-Linda Dubler, Video Curator, High Museum of Art, Atlanta
"Lacing the work with irony, humor, and defiance, and a touch of pain and bitterness, [Spiro] ties together isolated people through their common identity and a strong sense of place that ranks this among the finest road documentaries and ethnographic films."- Rob Nixon, ETC. MAGAZINE 
- Documentary Achievement Award, American Motion Picture Society (1995)
- Jury Award, New York Expo of Film and Video (1995)
- First Prize, Non-fiction, USA Film Festival (1994)
- Golden Gate Award, Best Television Documentary, San Francisco International Film Festival (1994)
- Best Documentary Award, Atlanta Film and Video Festival (1994)
- Paul Clere Humanitarian Award of Excellence, Sinking Creek Film Festival (1994)
- Central Florida Film and Video Festival 3rd Place (1994)
- Best of Festival Award, New England Film and Video Festival (1994)
- Grand Prize, Chicago International Gay Film and Video Festival (1994)
1 At a Glance: Greetings From Out Here.
Independent Television Service (ITVS). Retrieved on 2007-6-20.