Friedrich, Margrave of Ansbach and Bayreuth
, known as Friedrich I
or Friedrich V
(8 May 1460
-4 April 1536
) was born at Ansbach
, the eldest son of the Albert III, Margrave of Brandenburg
by his second wife Anna, daughter of Frederick II, Elector of Saxony
. His elder half-brother was the Elector Johann Cicero
of Brandenburg. Friedrich succeeded his father as Margrave of Ansbach
in 1486 and his younger brother as Margrave of Bayreuth
Family and children
On 14 February 1479
at Frankfurt (Oder)
he was married to Sofie of Poland (6 April 1464
-5 October 1512
), daughter of King Casimir IV of Poland
by his wife Elisabeth of Habsburg
, and sister of King Sigismund I of Poland
. They had seventeen children:
- Kasimir, Margrave of Bayreuth (27 September 1481, Ansbach–21 September 1527, Ofen an der Ruhr).
- Georg "der Fromme" (4 march 1484, Ansbach–27 December 1534, Ansbach).
- Albert of Prussia (17 May 1490, Ansbach–20 March 1568, Castle Tapiau), Grand Master of the Teutonic Order and then first Duke of Prussia.
- Friedrich (13 June 1491, Ansbach–ca. 1497).
- Johann, Viceroy of Valencia (9 January 1493, Plassenburg–5 July 1525, Valencia).
- Friedrich (17 January 1497, Ansbach–20 August 1536, Genoa), a canon in Würzburg and Salzburg.
- Wilhelm, (30 June 1498, Ansbach–4 February 1563, Riga), Archbishop of Riga in 1539-63.
- Johann Albrecht (20 September 1499,Ansach–17 May 1550, Halle), Archbishop of Magdeburg in 1545-50.
- Friedrich Abrecht, died young.
- Gumprecht (16 July 1503, Ansbach–25 June 1528, Naples), a canon in Bamberg.
- Elisabeth, died young.
- Margarete (10 January 1483, Ansbach–10 July 1532).
- Sofie (10 March 1485, Ansbach–24 May 1537, Liegnitz), married 14 November 1518 to Duke Friedrich II of Liegnitz.
- Anna (1487, Ansbach–7 February 1539), married 1 December 1518 to Duke Wenzel III of Teschen.
- Barbara, died young.
- Elisabeth (25 March 1494, Ansbach–31 May 1518, Pforzheim), married in Pforzheim 29 September 1510 to Margrave Ernst of Baden-Durlach.
- Barbara (24 September 1495, Ansbach–23 September 1552), married in Plassenburg 26 July 1528 to Landgrave Georg of Leuchtenberg.