The castle of Frauenfeld is an example of late baroque and classical architecture. The Rathaus dates from Frauenfeld's second period of prominence in the 18th century. Starting in 1712, the gathering of Swiss Eidgenossen took place aternately in Frauenfeld and Baden. In 1742, this gathering took Frauenfeld as its regular meetingplace.
Twice in the 18th century, Frauenfeld was partly destroyed by fire, in 1771 and in 1788.
The fall of the old Old Swiss Confederacy in 1798 as a result of the French invasion brought an end to the gatherings in Frauenfeld.
In 1919, the municipalities of Langdorf, Kurzdorf, Huben, Herten, and Horgenbach became part of Frauenfeld. In 1998, Gerlikon, Schönenhof, and Zelgli were incorporated.
It has a town bus service which runs every 15 minutes to every corner of the town. Frauenfeld's station supports a regional train (one that stops at every station) to Winterthur every 20 minutes and a fast train that travels to Zurich every 30 minutes.