The Fountain House was one of seven taverns constructed in the mid-1700s by William Doyle, the founder of Doylestown. The first part of the building was constructed in 1758. Owned by a Tory during the Revolutionary War, it was seized by government authorities and sold by auction. Throughout the 19th century, The Fountain House hosted, in addition to a tavern, the first Doylestown post office, and a stagecoach line connecting Philadelphia and Easton. The Fountain House was entered into the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.
The Fountain House, built primarily in the Victorian style, has gone through a number of changes.
1758: Original stone structure built
1830: Third story added
1849: Two additional structures built on either side
1876: Gabled Roof replaced with Mansard Roof
Currently, The Fountain House hosts several business occupants, primarily the Starbucks which occupies of the entire first floor. Several law offices and apartments are located on the second and third floors. It is a major social gathering location in Doylestown.