See also Fort Washington (New York)
Fort Washington, located near Fort Washington, Maryland, was for many decades the only defensive fort protecting Washington D.C. The original fort was completed in 1809. During the War of 1812, the Fort was destroyed by its own garrison during a British advance. The fort (maintained by the National Park Service) is a stone structure with a good cannon shot down the Potomac River. The current fort was constructed in 1824 with extensive remodelling in the 1840's, and 1890's. The Fort was turned over to the Department of the Interior in 1946 after its last military personnel left. The expansive park grounds with its extensive hiking / bicycle paths and river view are a scenic place for picnicking, fishing, and outdoor recreation. Historical re-enactments are held periodically at the fort, and there is a small museum. As of 2006 repairs are being done to shore up the crumbling outer wall, in preparation for the 200th anniversary.
The Fort Washington Light, located below the fort, was established in 1857. The current tower was constructed in 1882, standing 28 feet tall.
The Vascular Flora of Piscataway and Fort Washington National Parks, Prince Georges and Charles Counties, Maryland
Dec 01, 2003; ABSTRACT The 1956 hectares comprising Piscataway and Fort Washington National Parks in Prince Georges and Charles Counties,...