The original town of Foraker, named after Senator Joseph B. Foraker of Harding Co., Ohio, was located on the land of Samuel Yoder, 1 mile east and ½ mile south of the present Foraker. The Chicago and Canada Southern Railway bought land from Samuel Yoder & Jonas Kauffman in 1872. Work was started on the Wabash Railroad in 1891. The railroad did not want to put the station in at Foraker, but a mile west and north, so it was decided to move the town to its present location. The old Foraker consisted of one store, which was built and operated by Noah Yoder, son of Samuel Yoder. (Source: The Foraker Truth, May 1,1925)
Once the railroad began to run through in 1893, the new town soon grew to include a general store, a cider mill, and a harness shop. Later were built a bank, a church, and a feed mill. The feed mill remains, along with a lumber and coal store, but with the demise of the railroad, Foraker has otherwise ceased to be a commercial center for the area.
Foraker has its own fire department.