Norrent-Fontes is a commune and chief town of a canton in the Pas-de-Calais département in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais region of France.
A farming village, once famous for watercress
, situated some northwest of Béthune
and west of Lille
, at the junction of the D94 and D91 roads. The A26 autoroute
passes through the commune.
Known to the Romans
, later as Norrem
, in 1211
and then Norrenc
. The hamlet of Fontes was known as Adfondenis
. After the French Revolution
, the commune was created from the village of Norrent and the three hamlets of Fontes, Goulay and Malznoi.
Between the two world wars, the commune was home to one of the biggest military airfields
in northern France. Abandoned in 1940
, the site was reused by the Germans to launch V1
missiles towards London
, in 1944
. The remains are still visible from the Rely
Places of interest
- The church of St. Vaast, dating from the 16th century.
- Two old mills and some ancient houses.
- The war memorial.