The Estádio Fonte Nova, also known as Estádio Octávio Mangabeira, is a football stadium inaugurated on January 28, 1951 in Salvador, Bahia, with a maximum capacity of 66,080 people. The stadium is owned by the Bahia government, and is the home ground of Esporte Clube Bahia. Its formal name honors Octávio Cavalcanti Mangabeira, a civil engineer, journalist, and former Bahia state governor from 1947 to 1954.
After part of the upper terraces collapsed, killing 7 people and injuring several others, the government of Bahia announced the demolition of Fonte Nova and the construction of a new stadium, the Arena da Bahia, in the same place.
The stadium is nicknamed Fonte Nova because it is located at Ladeira das Fontes das Pedras.
The inaugural match was played on January 28, 1951, when Guarany and Botafogo, both local Bahia state teams, drew 2-1. The first goal of the stadium was scored by Guarany's Nélson.
The stadium's attendance record currently stands at 110,438, set on February 12, 1989 when Bahia beat Fluminense 2-1.
On November 25, 2007, when the Brazilian Championship Third Division match between Bahia and Vila Nova was nearly over with more than 60,000 supporters in attendance, a section of the stadium's highest terraces collapsed when Bahia's supporters were celebrating the club's promotion to the Brazilian Championship Second Division, killing seven people and injuring forty others. Jacques Wagner, who is the governor of Bahia state, ordered the stadium to be closed as the causes of the accident are under investigation by the authorities, and he also said on November 26, 2007 that the stadium may be demolished if its structure is compromised. On November 27, 2007, the governor of Bahia announced that Estádio Fonte Nova will be demolished, and a new stadium will be built in its place. On September 28, 2008, Bahia's governor Jaques Wagner announced that instead of being demolished, the stadium will be reformed into a multiuse arena with a maximum capacity of 60,000 people seated.