Folldal was separated from Alvdal as a municipality of its own in 1914.
1751 - The church in Folldal was a satellite church of that in Lesja, as was the church at the iron mines at Lesjaverk (Lesja Iron Works). Per Berg reports, “When the sexton Ola Kring died in Lesja in 1751, Frederik Wiborg was appointed sexton there and was presented to the congregation on the third Sunday following Trinity. There certainly wasn't anything very special about being a teacher in Ringsaker, if he was willing to change that for being a sexton. No house or land went with the post and the work was hard. In the Lesja parish there were three satellite churches - Lesjeverk, Dovre and Folldal. The travel distances were great and it could be very difficult in the winter.”