is a wholly owned subsidiary of ANSYS, Inc.
, one of the world’s leading engineering simulation software developers. Fluent Inc. originally was founded in 1988 as a spin-off from Hanover, New Hampshire
-based Creare, Inc.
, a research and development firm. Its main product was the computational fluid dynamics
(CFD) software named FLUENT. On February 16
, ANSYS acquired Fluent and incorporated the CFD technology into its line of multiphysics engineering simulation products.
A general-purpose CFD code based on the finite volume method
on a collocated grid. FLUENT technology offers a wide array of physical models that can be applied to a wide array of industries. *Dynamic and Moving Mesh: The user simply sets up the initial mesh and prescribes the motion, while FLUENT software automatically changes the mesh to follow the motion prescribed. This is useful for modeling flow conditions in and around moving objects.
- Turbulence: A large number of turbulence models are used to approximate the effects of turbulence in a wide array of flow regimes.
- Acoustics: The acoustics model lets users perform "on-the-fly" sound calculations.
- Reacting Flows: FLUENT technology has the ability to model combustion as well as finite rate chemistry and accurate modeling of surface chemistry.
- Heat Transfer, Phase Change, and Radiation: FLUENT software contains many options for modeling convection, conduction, and radiation.
- Multiphase: It is possible to model several different fluids in a single domain with FLUENT.
- Post-processing: Users can post-process their data in FLUENT software, creating - among other things - contours, pathlines, and vectors to display the data.
POLYFLOW: A finite-element-based CFD package for the analysis of polymer processing and glass forming. POLYFLOW software has an extensive library of viscoelastic fluid models.
FIDAP: A finite-element-based flow modeling tool for applications such as polymer processing, thin film coating, biomedical, semiconductor crystal growth, and metallurgy.
A geometric modeling and grid generation tool often shipped with FLUENT technology. GAMBIT software allows users to create their own geometry or import geometry from most CAD
packages. It can automatically mesh surfaces and volumes while allowing the user to control the mesh through the use of sizing functions and boundary layer meshing.
TGRID: A mesh generator for generating unstructured mesh from defined surface mesh, also usually shipped with FLUENT technology. TGRID software is very powerful and contains a "wrapper" to help easily mesh large, complex geometries. It can also be used to repair surfaces meshes.
G/Turbo: A meshing tool focused on the turbomachinery industry. It can create unstructured meshes.
Engineering CFD Software
A highly automated flow modeling tool aimed at design engineers. FloWizard software allows design engineers to quickly validate their designs earlier in the product development cycle by guiding the user from start to finish.
FLUENT for CATIA V5: An add-on to CATIA PLM process that allows users to validate designs within the CAD package, CATIA.
Application-Specific CFD Software
MixSim: CFD code aimed at simulating stirred mixing tanks.