is a municipality
in the county
Flatanger was separated from Fosnes January 1, 1871.
The municipality consists of almost 1,400 islands of various sizes.
The municipality is named after a fjord (the last element is angr
m 'fjord'). The first element is probably flat
'flat' - but in what meaning is unknown.
The coat-of-arms is from 1990. It shows three chevrons
, which represent the front of a boat.