The Flachmine 17
was a German landmine
mass produced during the First World War
. Production of the mine began in 1916 after the appearance of British
tanks, and by the end of the war over three million had been produced. The mine consisted of a simple wooden box containing a main charge with four spring percussion detonators at the top which would trigger when driven over by a heavy vehicle such as a tank. It was also possible to wire the mine for manual remote detonation.
- Weight: 12 lbs (4.6 kg)
- Explosive content: 18 standard 200 g blocks of demolition explosive
- Length: 20 cm
- Width: 30 cm
- Height: 5 cm
- Operating pressure: ?